1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

US Army sergeant held for civilian shootings in Afghanistan.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Azrael, Mar 11, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Lighten up Francis. I'm allowed to dish it out once in a while -- even if it pisses IJAG off.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I've certainly wondered what the "mission" is ever since bin Laden was killed. The only "mission" I can see is finding a way for us to leave that looks like "victory." In Iraq, we at least can point to a government in place, such as it is. If the hope was we could do the same in Afghanistan, and thus provide a buffer against extremism in Pakistan, that's a vain, vain hope, given the whole of world history.

Unfortunately, politics DOES play a part in this, in that there's no hue and cry from the country that is forcing politicians' hands. Instead, Republicans are keep calling to bomb everyone who pisses us off, and decry as weak anyone who doesn't. Obama doesn't want to have "we lost Afghanistan" around his neck before the election, especially with the Taliban likely to regain control once the U.S. leaves. I'm not saying it's right. It just is.

3. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Like it or not Obama owns this war now. He portrayed it as the good war, sent more troops and has more U.S soldiers killed under his watch.

4. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

But you're going to vote for him anyway. Sigh.

5. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

To a large extent he also owns the fallout of the Arab Spring which is proving to be a pretty mixed bag at best. One of my key concerns about Obama (who I think is a genuinely good guy who I happen to disagree with on many important subjects) was foreign policy, particularly the middle East. He hasn't made me any more comfortable.

From 9/12/01 we knew that this was a new kind of war (how do you fight a non-nation with no land?). I'm not sure we've yet received a satisfactory approach to fighting it.

6. Boom_70

Yes I am. You're not voting for Obama Starman?

7. Boom_70

Fighting it is one thing. Big question is how you stop it? Who do you negotiate with?

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

How do you negotiate with somebody whose only goal is to kill you?

9. Boom_70

Start by burning their game plan. Oh wait.

10. Starman

Obama's been doing it for three years on Capitol Hill, with predictable results.

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Surrender?

The problem really is that Afghanistan will be a safe haven for terrorists when we leave. Any failed state has this potential, but Afghanistan does in particular. Now, maybe, with our more robust drone program, we can contain this better than previously.

And, maybe we don't/shouldn't care, but there will be a blood bath when we leave. Forget about wearing "emo" clothes, or "brash Western fashion". The Taliban will stone to death anyone who doesn't conform to the most serious strand of Islam.

They will also kill anyone who is seen to have been a collaborator with the Americans.

And, we're going to see a shit load of refugees.

We interceded in Libya to prevent just this kind of thing. There are calls for us to do the same in Syria. It's pretty hard to pull out of Afghanistan knowing that doing so will result in the same kind of situation.

12. Starman

I'm voting against the shrieking paranoid lunatics who oppose him.

Draft saved Draft deleted