1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

West Virginia University football reporter, Morgantown, WV.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by giantjay25, Jul 30, 2007.

1. giantjay25

giantjay25 Member

Company: The Dominion Post
    Position:WVU football reporter
    Job Status:Full-time
    Salary:Negotiable
    Ad Expires: September 3, 2007
    Job ID: 810022

Description:
    The Dominion Post, the source of information for West Virginia University sports, is seeking a WVU Football beat reporter.

The right candidate will cover the Mountaineers at home and on the road, work general assignment during off-season and assist with special section writing throughout the year.

A talented team player is needed to complement our small, yet extremely productive Sports Department.

The Dominion Post is north central West Virginia’s largest daily newspaper with a circulation of 22,000-plus daily, and 25,000-plus on Sunday. Just an hour south of Pittsburgh, we are home to the state’s flagship university. The Dominion Post is an equal opportunity employer that offers competitive salaries and benefits. Send resumes and clips to Sports Editor Eric Herter, 1251 Earl Core Road, Morgantown WV 26505 or e-mail: eherter@dominionpost.com. No phone calls please.

--
    Damn. I know it's the town WVU is in, but a paper this small going on the road with the team is pretty interesting.

2. Buckeye12

Buckeye12 Member

Wonder what pay range is here?

3. doublej

doublej New Member

Looks like they went to a paid website in '05.

4. chester

chester Member

How much is the size of this paper going to affect the interest in the job?

5. Bill Horton

Bill Horton Active Member

A new SID and a new beat writer will present some interesting challenges for everyone involved - from the newspaper, to the athletic department to the football program. At the same time, that could make it a fun opportunity for some eager young cub willing to listen, learn and adapt.

6. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Who cares about paper size? Unless they pay 22K or make you run the presses, I'd kill 10 random SJers for this job.

7. chester

chester Member

Oh, I would too. I was just curious if there would be those who would look at the paper itself, and not the beat. That's all I was asking.

8. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A paper that small isn't likely to pay that much. On the other hand, that's got to be their top sports beat, so maybe they'll get up to 40K.

Nah.

9. da man

da man Well-Known Member

A disclaimer: I know absolutely nothing about the paper, its management or its finances. I'm just spouting off the top of my head. So take the previous post for what it's worth. Zero.

10. Kinda weird that the ad expires on Sept. 3, and West Virginia's first game is Sept. 1.

Hope they find someone before then.

11. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

What kind of experience are they looking for? Would an '06 grad with some internship experience have a shot?

12. BRoth

BRoth Member

Just spent the weekend in Morgantown ... my third time there in the last year to visit a friend. It's a college town, that's for sure. No real fancy housing or expensive groceries, so you could probably get by alright on a smaller salary. The town never seems to awe me that much, mostly because I've been there during the summer when most of the population is gone. At least you're only a few miles away from the Pennsylvania border if you need to travel there.

That being said, I can't imagine that this job wouldn't be fun, especially considering what the WVU could do this year.

Draft saved Draft deleted