1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

What does CQ stand for/where did it come from?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by deskslave, Aug 23, 2009.

1. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

With this profusion of possible explanations, some lucky writer will get a column out of this, i.e., a self-writing time-waster, the wastrel (cq).

2. spud

spud Member

Just as "bad" as me thinking sic stands for "Spelling is correct" for the last five years.

3. Harry Doyle

Harry Doyle Member

Am I the only one who was taught that CQ stood for "correct but queer"?

4. Tucsondriver

Tucsondriver Member

5. Oscar_Madisoy

Oscar_Madisoy Member

Like I said a few posts earlier, that was my understanding of it as well.

6. inthesuburbs

inthesuburbs Member

-30-?

Yes, 30, the notation placed by a writer at the end of the last take, or sheet of copy, to indicate that it is the last, that there is no more. If none of this means anything to you, you're too young to remember a bulldog edition, paste pots or pica poles.

It's funny that we inherit these terms (cq, potus, scotus, 30) from our telgraphic forebears, and then make up meanings for them ("correct but queer"? "correctly quoted" "cadit quaestio" LOL), because the terms were passed down, but not the meanings, or it never had any meaning to begin with: It's just a two-letter shorthand for "correct," just as igc stood for "ignorance" and rdx for "ridiculous."

It's like having a family portrait on your wall, but not remembering who is in the picture.

7. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

Well-played.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I'm sure 50 years from now, people will be wondering where texting short-hand like "lol," "idk" and "rotflmao" came from and what it means ...

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Or, "Go fuck yourself."
    I understand the intention, and don't have a problem using it...but the phrase has always bothered me.

10. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I hope people forgot LOL as much as I hope people stop using it. Every time I see that, I want to yell THE FUCK YOU LAUGHING AT? It ain't funny.

I suppose some use it as a way of saying "I mean this to be funny."

If you have to tell us it is supposed to be funny, that's a pretty good hint it isn't.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

LOL!

12. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Ok. That one got me.

Draft saved Draft deleted