1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whitlock leaves page 2 for aol sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

His handle isn't anonymous -- just hard to pronounce.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Just keeping my karma intact. When does the first column go up for AOL?

3. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

I loved the interview and Jason's candor, but am I the only one who found his use of the word "bojangle" and its variations highly amusing? I understood it in context, but it's definitely not a word I come across on a daily basis.

4. Double J

Double J Active Member

It becomes tiresome when he's also adding references to Stepin Fetchit and Kunta Kinte. How does he expect to be able to participate in an "intelligent discussion of important racial issues" when he's constantly throwing around stuff like that?

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

the guy's a fucking idiot double j.

but, again, i'll admit, he can write the hell out of a story when it interests him -- usually when it's about himself. but i enjoy watching this train wreck. the more full of himself -- and that's a whole lot of full -- he gets, the quicker he's going to fall on his face.

trading page 2 for aol. great fucking choice large one. probably wasn't your choice.

6. you gotta love this place. it took most of the day, but after much thinking and constant research you came up with a way to criticize. "thebiglead.com" is the equivalent of addressing congress. what was i thinking? i'm embarrassed. i regret answering the guy's e-mails. and yes, mr. petty, i was run out of page 2. they couldn't wait to get rid of me.

keep hope alive!

7. Serious question - does anyone read Page 2 anymore?

I used to go there every day. But I haven't bothered with it in months.

8. Evil Chris --
    I think Lovinger's working in some synergystic function at ESPN -- coordinating film packages of ESPN Mag stories or the like.

9. Good work, TBL, and Daddy Whit, who very nearly understands what DuBois meant.
    But somebody has to say it:
    Ralph Wiley, Hunter Thompson and...Bill Simmons?
    One of these things is not like the others.

10. Don't forget David Halberstam who may have been THE heavy hitter during the early Page 2 days (9/11 changed that and DH decided to focus on more serious matters). I also hate to break it to you but HST at Page 2 was Babe Ruth with the Boston Braves. He mailed everything in. It got boring quick to hear him complain about his football picks. Like it or not but Simmons was the driving force behind most of the Page 2 traffic.

Ralph Wiley would have been the guy who didn't belong to the average Joe.

11. Jason didn't mention Halberstam, so I didn't include him, but, you're right, it was very interesting -- and passing odd -- to have him on Page 2.
    Hunter Thompson on the drunkest, laziest day he ever lived could write Bill Simmons up a tree.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Which doesn't belong . . . and why? . . . . .

Preppy Bill. Couldn't clean HST's clubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted