1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

whitlock leaves page 2 for aol sports

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HoopsMcCann, Sep 22, 2006.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

What the heck, Tom Petty and all you Whitlock-haters?

The guy does everything you want a columnist to do, he writes about issues that are compelling and compels you to read them -- even if you had no passion in the issue to begin with, he tackles issues no one wants to touch, and he writes in a way that isn't middle-of-the-road and which threatens to polarize some of his readers.

I don't always agree with him, but big deal. He passes my honest meter a helluva a lot more than other columnists I read do, even though he's often accused of the opposite.

My only two knocks are that he sometimes writes about things that aren't really of interest to his KC readers and sometimes he works his pimp hand on his own member too often in stroking his own stuff. But so what? I'm just as guilty of the same shit, I just don't have the same audience.

To make a statement like "enjoy making change at 7-11?" That's just clueless.

2. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Shhhh..... bubbs.

That's P.T. Barnum's lifeblood you are reacting to.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

clueless is leaving espn for aol.

very 7-11ish-like. get over it.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

he said with a mouthful of the large one's sack.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but people who take shots at Whitlock for being fat are basically saying, "I'm not smart enough or creative enough to come up with anything better, and I'm a complete hack and a tool to boot."

6. Frank_Ridgeway

Frank_Ridgeway Well-Known Member

We'd use our real identities, but Jason ate them.

7. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I dunno, man. They're building some thing there, and that can be fun to be a part of.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

How often do many of you read ESPN? I hardly ever read it anymore.

And you know what? It's beginning to become the black hole from which national columnists do not escape. Can't remember the last time I made a point to read a Pat Forde column for instance.

Jason has another thing figured out -- along with Posnanski -- he's the man in KC. At a website, unless you're the featured columnist -- as he will be at AOL -- you're just another face in the crowd. Your opinion on a topic is fighting with about 1,000 other things people read national websites for to get web hits.

9. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

You should tell that to the guy who hired Whitlock, the one who left ESPN for AOL.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no actually, that's what fatties are who come here to use this forumn to give themselves written blowjobs.

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeaaaah. aol, the longtime leader in sports information.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

A question for thebiglead:

You can print "bitch," but bleep out "shit"?

Draft saved Draft deleted