1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Why do the national media now own sports scoops?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Dick Whitman, Jan 29, 2013.

1. RonClements

RonClements Well-Known Member

I will say this, though, these national writers got to where they are for a reason. They started at local papers and advanced their way up the ranks to a network or other national outlet. Along the way, they make a lot of contacts and create a lot of sources.

2. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

I don't know that this dynamic is true only "now." I remember in college SI's Doug Looney coming to campus to follow Indiana football for a week (probably the only time that ever happened), and in chatting with him, he was blunt about the benefits of his affiliation. "Why do I get to go wherever I want and set at the coach's desk all week? Because I'm Doug Looney? No, because I work for Sports Illustrated."

However, what has changed is instead of a few national publications chasing scoops, you now have multiple networks and major blog outlets (like Yahoo) racing after them. Also different from 25 years ago, newspaper staffs have been cut so far that it's enough work to keep up with the day-to-day stuff, much less the 24-hour-a-day scoop chasing you have to do in the age of breaking news on Twitter.

Also, to echo Ron's point: Doug Looney and anyone who gets to a national level has to have some talent or drive, or else they won't get to that point, and/or won't last.

3. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

Not always.

4. RonClements

Always exceptions, but as a general rule, it's true.

5. Drip

Drip Active Member

Shit happens. I'm seeing a lot posts from jealous people on these threads. That's understandable. But don't let that deter you from going out and busting your ass. Do the best damn job you can do. If you're good, and with a little luck, you too may be able say you're one of the big boys.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

What Bob said.

I would also add that in addition to the teams/schools catering to the national people, the athletes themselves also see more possibilities there. To most of them, reporters are little more than a marketing tool. So they can be very nice to the extent that they have those aspirations. But the people who are going to help them sell themselves to the most people are the national guys.

Or, as Randy Moss put it when he caught three touchdown passes on Thanksgiving, did an on-field interview afterward and then stiffed the press corps:

"Y'all ain't TV."

7. Drip

Drip Active Member

There is no set rule or path to follow. Some are fortunate to make it to that level, others are not.

8. RonClements

True dat

9. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you really, really think this thread is about people being jealous about not being "one of the big boys"?

Really?

I don't even begin to know how that would be your takeaway.

10. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Nice story, except I'm pretty sure Tony never has worked for ESPN.

11. Drip

Drip Active Member

That's what it appears to be. I know it didn't begin that way but it has morphed.

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't get that impression at all.

The gist seems to be: "Yeah, it sucks. But I get it."

Draft saved Draft deleted