1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

WHY THE HELL HASN'T MIKE RICE BEEN FIRED YET?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by shockey, Apr 2, 2013.

1. murphyc

murphyc Well-Known Member

To me, this is one of the most unsettling pieces of the story and one of the most underreported/commented on. Rice was hired in 2010 and in the 2010-11 season commits at least some of the acts being shown this week (if the part above in bold is indeed correct). Why didn't AD Pernetti do anything then?
    The whole timeline gets me as well. I've seen various mentions of Pernetti learning of the abuse allegations in the November 2012 timeframe. How the AD and president Barchi could decide at that point to keep Rice is beyond me. I will be stunned if Pernetti keeps his job after this.
    Then there is this NYTimes story:
    http://www.nytimes.com/2013/04/04/sports/ncaabasketball/rutgers-fires-basketball-coach-after-video-surfaces.html

One part that jumped out to me:
    You have got to be kidding me. Evil brought up the point of Rice having grounds for a lawsuit. If Barchi indeed renewed Rice's contract even AFTER being made aware of the incident, to my non-legal eye Rice's case or at least a chance for money just went way up. As others have mentioned, I doubt Rice was able to keep his emotions in check since November, based on his history. But school leaders, from what I can tell, have not mentioned anything about Rice having done anything like what's seen in the video since November.
    If you are disciplined for doing wrong, then have your contract renewed, stay (apparently) on good behavior or at least not bad enough to be caught on camera, and THEN get fired for what you did to get disciplined months ago, that looks like a rather incompetent school you're dealing with.
    I don't think there's any question Rice deserved to be fired -- and LONG before today. I also don't think Pernetti will stay, especially if rightfully pissed off parents and others start applying some heat.
    To me, Barchi ought to go as well. Just look at Barchi's letter to the community: if what he wrote is accurate, when Barchi first learned about this last fall from his AD, he didn't even ask to see the video. If nothing else, he deserves to get canned for being incredibly stupid. Your school has video proof of your basketball coach throwing balls at players' heads from point blank range, grabbing them, using foul/derogatory language and you wait several months to finally review the footage -- and only after ESPN has shown it? There's no excuse for that.

2. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Hi, I'm Chris Christie and I'm a politically correct whiner.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know why you think that. As soon as he fired that first basketball at someone in a rage, rather than as part of some drill, and the tape went public, he was finished. I don't understand why you think he was fired for using the word "faggot" - and why the possibility of that bothers you so much. Rice was guilty of a list of behavioral sins, any one of which was arguably a fireable offense. Your anger is much ado about nothing - Pernetti was just inartful in his explanation.

4. dog eat dog world

dog eat dog world New Member

Well, they do know how to grease the political wheel. The local paper or a nationwide exposure? That determines when a wrong has been committed.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

A unique way to get things to go the way you want, to be sure. Surprised that hadn't ever been thought of before.

6. dog eat dog world

Not giving a shit about the actual victims of this it is, though. Wait until we can use you as a political tool.
    Just don't preach about the injustice to the kids. Just rant about the slurs and what they do to a movement.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Darn near English.

8. dog eat dog world

Like yours was a complete sentence.

9. dog eat dog world

You hit the cop-out button for ignoring the obvious in the timing of this action which screams: It's not about the players and what they've gone through.

10. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

No, genius. He was suspended and fined for abusing players. He was fired for abusing players because the video got out and the outrageous extent of the abuse became a national story. But keep f---ing that chicken.

12. NDJournalist

NDJournalist Active Member

Chipper Jones doesn't understand the hate on Rice. For those who don't know who Jones is, he played close to two decades in the MLB for the Atlanta Braves. Here are some of his tweets on the matter:

Chipper Jones ‏@RealCJ10 3 Apr

I got cursed at and called names by a ton of people growing up. Were they fired? Nope! Do I care? Nope! What's the big deal? Toughen up!

Chipper Jones ‏@RealCJ10 3 Apr

Yeah, been hit w/ bball equipment on purpose, been dragged around a football field by my facemask and ran suicides til I puked! I ain't mad.

Chipper Jones ‏@RealCJ10 1h

Apparently mine and some people's views of what verbal and physical abuse is, differs. That's ur right. This is my twitter account.

If u don't like my opinion, don't follow. I never said Rice shouldn't have been fired. That's up to Rutgers. Only happened bcuz of espn.

I guess not everyone is as hyper-sensitive as some of you out there. Some of u can't be called names or pushed out of frustration.

Draft saved Draft deleted