1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

World Cup nicknames

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by mpcincal, Jun 15, 2006.

1. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

In following the World Cup games, I've noticed while the teams are mainly identified by country, some of them have picked up unofficial nicknames. Italy is the "Azzurri," (or "Blue"), Mexico is the "Tricolores," Costa Rica is the "Ticos," and when Cameroon was in the Cup a few years ago, they called themselves the "Indomitable Lions," my personal favorite.

For all the soccer diehards on this board (I know there are a few of you), are there any other teams with nicknames I haven't heard?

2. KP

KP Active Member

Ghana - Black Stars (NCAA finds it offensive)
    Ivory Coast - Elephants

3. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

T&T - Soca Warriors
    England - Three Lions
    France - Les Blues

4. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

USA -- El Disappointamentos

5. Flash

Flash Guest

Are they anything like Mentos, the fresh maker?

6. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

No, unlike mentos they are not fresh and full of life.

7. ServeItUp

ServeItUp Active Member

Nigeria = Super Eagles. I was on a plane to KC and some Kansas politico, who was born in Nigeria, was sitting next to me and was impressed that I knew that.

Jamaica = Reggae Boyz. Yeah, they're not in the Cup but you gotta give it up for Marley Nation.

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Poland = The Screen-Doored Submariners.

9. KP

KP Active Member

Germany - The Mannschaft
    Netherlands - The Oranje
    Togo - The Sparrow Hawks
    Switzerland - The Oath Comrades (whatever that means)
    Brazil - The Selecao
    Australia - Socceroos

10. PeteyPirate

PeteyPirate Guest

Mannschaft? That is tremendous. Brings to mind Mike Myers in a black turtleneck.

When Brazilians refer to the "selecao," they are saying the Portuguese word that denotes the national team, like seleccion in Spanish, so I'm not sure I would call it a nickname.

Who are the Caricolas? I could have sworn that was also a nickname for the Italian team, but I can't be sure.

11. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

I thought it was the Whining Puscatores

12. sportsed

sportsed Guest

Every article I've read on Brazil has called them the Samba Kings; don't know if it's an unofficial official nickname or if the AP is trying to make something catch on.

Draft saved Draft deleted