1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young people have no idea …

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Inky_Wretch, Jun 19, 2023.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Yup. One place told me that we would have to go somewhere to go have photos processed and get them back to the newsroom ... they were so cheap and awful that they didn't even have the ability to process their own photos.

Talk about what used to be a massive red flag. If only that were now the biggest issue facing newsrooms and media outlets these days ...

MileHigh likes this.
  2. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

HanSenSE likes this.
  3. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

My first full-time job out of college was at a weekly and we had an account at the photo store in the strip mall down the street to get our photos processed. They always looked pretty good in the paper. I was there less than six months. My first daily gig, which was right after that, and the photo staff was fully digital (in all honesty, probably a pretty early adapter and not bad for a small, locally owned rag). We got primitive point and shoots to mugshots and stuff too.

I still have a roll of film in a camera from when my just graduated high school oldest was probably one. I think there might be some decent things on it. I wonder if they would turn out?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The darkroom, and the rush and pressure of processing our own film on deadline, was one of the best things about working at the Bennington rag.

Especially during middle of winter when we'd come back from games and our fingers were still half frozen.

5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

6. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Every thread on sj.com about the old days will eventually come back to pica poles, composing rooms and developing film. It’s canon.

7. wicked

wicked Well-Known Member

My first job, at a group of weeklies, I had a wheel. I always just went the calculator, which means I screwed up a fair number of times. Always doing stuff the hard way.

I ordered a pica pole a few years back but left it at my last gig. I think it was $15 on eBay. Itching to get another.

ChrisLong likes this.
  8. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Ah, the darkroom. A place of mystery, aromas and hands working calmly to achieve a goal.

wicked likes this.
  9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I used to do that in the back of a Pontiac.

10. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

What you did alone, sir, well, we don't need to know about it. :D

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Fuck film. Nobody needs to feel nostalgic about that shit.

12. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

I used pica poles to scratch my back. I worked in one shop early in my career where they were still utilized. It was an experience. Before and after that my papers were pretty well Quark'd up.

wicked likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted