1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Hall of Fame Vote, Post-Mitchell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. I'd vote for Barry Bonds. You don't need an asterisk. Everyone who sees his name will remember.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

As a die-hard baseball fan, it really is depressing that the two greatest players of my generation were both cheaters. It honestly bothers me a lot.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

Depends on which Hall you're talking about. :)

If the allegations about Clemens are accurate, he's not a Hall of Famer in my book.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I think Clemens and Bonds will still get in.

I don't think Palmeiro or McGwire will.

If I had a vote, I honestly don't know what I'd do.

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Bonds is a fucking asshole. A Lousy human and I wouldn't piss on him if he were on fire. But he belongs in the Hall of Fame.
    But it doesn't look like many of the pitchers that served him up all those strikes were juiced.

Put them if if they deserve to go in based on their accomplishments. McGwire, Sosa, Raffy, Clemens and Bonds. 1st ballot everyone.

6. 21

21 Well-Known Member

cas-ty, cas-ty, cas-ty, cas-ty...

7. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

That's the one that smacked me in the ass too.

8. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Can't say what the majority will do, and I don't have a vote, but if I did, I'd say no. People like him and Bonds bug me most of all. He didn't have to cheat. His legacy was cemented. Instead, he prolonged things and turned himself from one of the 10 or 25 best pitchers of the modern era to one of the top 5. I don't know why that bothers me so much more than the mediocre player who at least is hanging onto a roster spot with the increased performance. In my eyes, Clemens goes from a guy with seven Cy Youngs to a guy who probably would have won three. That is still a Hall of Famer. But add to it the fact that he couldn't let an amazing career stand on its own, his ego made him cheat--and then he lied about it--and it really just bugs me more than it should. What's wrong with having been a 200 to 300 game winner, a guy with a ton of strikeouts and three Cy Young awards?

All my Clemens posts (as well as about steroids in general) from two and three years ago have been lost to time (as well as my arguments with every ass on here who called me a witch hunter when I pointed out the obvious). I had someone mention Clemens' name to me prominently three years ago (others too, but this person is different), soon after I got an early tip that Raffy Palmiero was going to be busted before the news was announced and I posted it here. Reading between the lines of that conversation, I would have bet my house that they had a positive test on Clemens and it was going to be announced, so much so that I PMed someone here to be on the lookout. I guess they either didn't have it or they buried it.

I did just find this post--so much is gone to time. Damn, those were the good old days. Me posting about the use being rampant and begging people to at least acknowledge the obvious (without confusing the arguments about whether it is a big deal or not), and getting snarky crap in return from a dozen or so people on here:

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Can Dale Murphy get some love now? Please?

10. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Every discussion about Pete Rose always instantly devolves into an argument about "They let Barry Bonds take steroids and nobody cares, therefore Pete Rose should be in the HOF!!!!!!!!11"

How about this. You know who Pete Rose was living with for a couple years in Cincinnati while he was playing and managing the Reds??

Tommy Gioisia, a bodybuilding freak who was later convicted and went to jail for trafficking in illegal steroids. Living in the same house, partying together, rubbing elbows every day.

One of the major effects of steroids is to help aging (or washed-up, over-the-hill if you prefer) athletes recover more quickly from muscle exertion and trauma. If you're a 44-year-old has-been who hasn't been playing well enough to be in a major-league lineup for the last 6-8 years, but you are still chasing the All-Time Hit Record so you can call yourself the "Hit King," don't you think that might be something you'd be interested in??

Of course, Rose would deny it. Rose denies everything.

In addition to gambling -- to which he has now confessed in every conceivable definition except for actually throwing games (Stay Tuned, fans!! ) what reason is there to believe that Pete Rose was not also a user of illegal steroids?

Because he SAYS he didn't do it?? GMAFB.

Because we must "presume him innocent?"

Therefore, it is utterly idiotic to argue that "Pete Rose should be in the HOF because nobody cares about the steroid users," since there's a perfectly good basis to believe that Pete Rose was on steroids, too.

BTW, Pete Rose Jr. was arrested last year. Know what for? Trafficking in steroids.

11. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Uhhhhhhhhh

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Roger Clemens thru 1996 (age 34 season): 192-111, 3.05 ERA, 1.16 WHIP, 2590 Ks/2776 IP (8.40 K/9)
    Roger Clemens since 1997 (35-45): 162-73, 3.21 ERA, 1.19 WHIP 2074 Ks/2124 2/3 IP (8.79 K/9)

Edit: Sorry, the following is more relevant:

Clemens ('93-'96): 40-39, 3.77 ERA, 1.29 WHIP, 717 Ks/745 IP (8.66 Ks/9)
    Clemens since 1997: 162-73, 3.21 ERA, 1.19 WHIP 2074 Ks/2124 2/3 IP (8.79 K/9)

Draft saved Draft deleted