1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Your Hall of Fame Vote, Post-Mitchell

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, Dec 13, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Murphy had too many lousy years toward the end of his career, and except for 1982, he played on bad Braves teams and didn't really elevate them. Definite no.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I just mentioned that to point out that you can't take Rice's stats at face value. You just can't.

But it's probably Rice's personality with the writers that most works against him. If you gave Murphy Rice's stats or Rice Murphy's character, I think either guy gets voted in.

As fate would have it, though, I don't think either guy's a Hall of Famer. Pedro Guerrero was a better hitter than either Rice or Murphy, but he played in a pitcher's park most of his career and he couldn't stay healthy.

Them's the breaks ...

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I wonder what boots will do with his Hall vote.

4. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

?

5. In Exile

In Exile Member

If Bud Selig ever gets in after this, then so should everyone else.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yes, you can take his statistics at face value. And he is a far better candidate than Murphy.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

Sorry, OOP, Bill James says you can't take stats at face value and that's good enough for me.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

I never said he wasn't. I just don't think Rice is a Hall of Famer.

Perhaps we can agree to disagree?

9. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Before, during or after the steroids era, the only way a first-ballot snub will mean anything to me is if there is a formal definition for what a first-ballot snub means.

It's long been one of the most self-serving, pompous ideas in the world of pro baseball beat writers.

Sending a message? Please.

He's good enough to get your Hall vote the second time through, but not worthy of it the first time through? Pretty please.

You're "punishing" the player by making him wait for the second ballot? Pretty-pretty please.

If you're going to keep him off in first ballot ... hey, keep him off for good. Give your ballot some integrity.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bill james makes love to flapjacks soaked in butter.

11. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Works for me. I see Rice as borderline and Murphy as a definite no. But I don't think Fenway is that much of an advantage that you should discount a guy's stats just because he played there. That's the only real point of disagreement here.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Agreed, a thousand times over.

There is no special status for first-ballot nominees. If you're in, you're in, and it doesn't matter how long it took you to get there.

Draft saved Draft deleted