John
Well-Known Member
- Joined
- Dec 31, 2005
- Messages
- 6,389
BRUSSELS (AP)—Former world No. 1 Justine Henin is returning to competitive tennis, making the announcement barely a week after Kim Clijsters capped her comeback from retirement with a second U.S. Open title.
Henin had been retired for just over a year, but at 27 says she has the fire and physical strength to compete for an eighth Grand Slam title. Her announcement on VTM television capped an about-face that went from her "definitive decision" to retire last year, to weeks of no comment to a smiling admission Tuesday that she truly missed the game too much.
She wants to play two exhibition tournaments, in Charleroi, Belgium, and Dubai, to hone her skills ahead of a competitive return next year with plans to compete in the next Grand Slam, the Australian Open.
In this photo taken Thursday Sept. 10, 2009, Belgium's former number one tennis champion speaks during a media conference in Brussels. Henin on Tuesday Sept. 22, 2009 announced her return to competitive tennis for next year. Henin had been retired for just over a year, but at 27 she again has the fire and physical strength to compete for an eighth Grand Slam title. Her announcement comes barely a week after Kim Clijsters capped her comeback from retirement with a second U.S. Open title.
"The fire within burns again," Henin said. "I want to come back in January."
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Aq5yDvWyv1Su5MmlF_KB7Lw5nYcB?slug=ap-heninfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns
Just like with Clijsters, I don't think Henin will have much trouble resuming her place at or near the top of the game. She's strong where so many of the players in the top 10 are weak, in the head.
Henin had been retired for just over a year, but at 27 says she has the fire and physical strength to compete for an eighth Grand Slam title. Her announcement on VTM television capped an about-face that went from her "definitive decision" to retire last year, to weeks of no comment to a smiling admission Tuesday that she truly missed the game too much.
She wants to play two exhibition tournaments, in Charleroi, Belgium, and Dubai, to hone her skills ahead of a competitive return next year with plans to compete in the next Grand Slam, the Australian Open.
In this photo taken Thursday Sept. 10, 2009, Belgium's former number one tennis champion speaks during a media conference in Brussels. Henin on Tuesday Sept. 22, 2009 announced her return to competitive tennis for next year. Henin had been retired for just over a year, but at 27 she again has the fire and physical strength to compete for an eighth Grand Slam title. Her announcement comes barely a week after Kim Clijsters capped her comeback from retirement with a second U.S. Open title.
"The fire within burns again," Henin said. "I want to come back in January."
http://sports.yahoo.com/ten/news;_ylt=Aq5yDvWyv1Su5MmlF_KB7Lw5nYcB?slug=ap-heninfuture&prov=ap&type=lgns
Just like with Clijsters, I don't think Henin will have much trouble resuming her place at or near the top of the game. She's strong where so many of the players in the top 10 are weak, in the head.