1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

UVA and the alleged frat rape - Rolling Stone backpedals

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Circus, Nov 19, 2014.

1. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There's good reason to err that far considering, at best, 60 percent of rapes are unreported.

2. MisterCreosote

Probably, but they at least have the recourse of a legal system often stacked in their favor, which is much more than a potential rape victim has.

3. PW2

PW2 Member

That, of course, would be included in the decisions on how many resources to allocate to campus rape prevention. I'm not suggesting that schools proceed as if the only rapes that have occurred are reported rapes.

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I'm not sure you're giving due weight to the severity of the problem if you really think what's going on now can be likened to "killing an ant with a sledgehammer."

5. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think people have read up on exactly what's going on with these adjudication panels -- who sits on them, what their training is, what they're tasked with investigating and how they go about doing that.

It's a farce. It's a complete abomination.

6. PW2

PW2 Member

I'm not talking about what's going on now. I'm talking about the hypothetical of devoting resources to the problem as if 1 in 5 women are raped at college.

7. cranberry

The thing is that I can agree that the adjudication processes on many campuses if fucked up without minimizing the problem of campus rape and sexual assault. I also know which problem concerns me more.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Erdley has journalists talking rape on college campuses. Which means she accomplished ... something.

9. cranberry

So your real worry here is the potential inefficiency of throwing too many resources at the problem?

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

And I feel like I can understand that rape is a big problem, particularly among young people, without being lied to about how big the problem is or whether it's particularly grotesque at colleges. (It isn't.)

11. MisterCreosote

Some people on this thread remind me of Bill O'Reilly talking about white privilege:

‘Talking Points’ does not, does not believe in white privilege. However, there is no question that African-Americans have a much harder time succeeding in our society than whites do.”

12. PW2

PW2 Member

Yes. Because it means that less resources will get thrown at another problem that needs it.

Draft saved Draft deleted