1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Mass shooting on campus in Oregon

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Oct 1, 2015.

1. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Banks are full of money. Criminals love to steal money, and banks are where the money is. Nothing we can do will ever stop people from robbing banks. We all know that it is futile to make an effort to prevent them from being robbed, so there is no point in even trying. There are already laws making it illegal to rob banks and they don't work, so there is no point trying anything else that might work better.

So what if other countries found a way to keep their banks from being robbed nearly as often as ours are, we do things our way here.

bigpern23 and Stoney like this.
  2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Laws there may make it such a pain in the ass to get a gun that you don't get one just because you're feeling disaffected.

3. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

Lots of politicians believe that, they just don't vote that way because they want to win.

Gun laws are not quashed out of principle. They're held up out of fear of losing elections. It's a matter of political will.

4. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It's a matter of knowing that the NRA will spend a shitpot full of money to punish anyone who opposes them. They act as though *any attempt to control any aspect of firearms* was the confiscation of all guns in the country. I'm a country boy, grew up with guns and hunting. There is no reason on God's green earth that any one needs a 100 round magazine for their AR-15 except to shoot a whole lot of people before they have to stop to reload. There is no reason anyone needs a thirty round magazine in their Glock pistol except to have an easily concealable wayto kill a lot of people. Period.

There needs to be an effort made to improve control over access to firearms, because clearly what we have now is not working.

BDC99 and Stoney like this.
  5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Anyone who's first thoughts after a shooting like this is "Oh shit, now they're going to take away my guns," really needs to reexamine their priorities in life.

BDC99 likes this.
  6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Why speculate? I bet we could find out exactly what Australia did.

Does anyone know?

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

A brief summary

8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You mean other than the principle that you shouldn't pass laws that are unconstitutional?

Dick Whitman likes this.
  9. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

10. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Share what?

11. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

I can't own certain WMDs without a massively rigorous licensing process.

Is that unconstitutional?

12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I covered a Scalia speech a couple years ago, and he speculated that the Second Amendment might, in fact, be limited to the firepower that was available at the time of ratification.

Draft saved Draft deleted