1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I genuinely believe that Trump came into this very unsophisticated on racially tinged issues. For instance, he didn't think through something like his proposed Muslim ban.

I'm not gravely concerned.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

No. it's a wall. Is he lying now or was he lying then

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He wasn't lying. It was the starting point of a negotiation.

Ace likes this.
  4. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Anyone know what sites he's already removed from the list?

*Website Removed* (temporarily)

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

of course it was. It's all negotiable. Until The Russians invade thru Mexico. Mexico hates us now. So why wouldn't they aline with ISIS and Russia

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

I am trying really hard to be open to information from sources I would normally reject, following the echo chambered debacle of the 2016 election. I hope you appreciate the sheer force of will it took to read a Slate Star Codex article with an open mind, because every time I have come across his articles on the internet he was several times more high on his own farts than I could hope to be in my deepest po-mo fever dreams.

But I liked that article and hope he is right.

7. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

That is a terrible list that shows her biases. Many of the sites she included propagate false things. But a few of the sites are simply contrarian sites -- they are great, because reading them would give a lot of people differing points of view to chew on. Tell me how Lew Rockwell is any more "false" or "misleading" than say, the Huffington Post or New Republic? Or Zero Hedge, which mostly comments on economic / market news with a distinctive point of view. Lumping sites like those with sites that are outright dishonest discredits her list.

They all have one thing in common: to one degree or another, their points of view didn't favor Hillary Clinton. Which makes me wonder if there is a budding narrative now of, "She lost because of fake news sites," with "fake" being any site that was biased against her.

YankeeFan likes this.
  8. YankeeFan

A. Yes, that's true

2. This is a great example of the left taking Trump "literally, but not seriously" while his supporters took him "seriously, but not literally".

The media and the left will scream, "he's backing away from his campaign promise." And, they will think they've made some point.

But, Trump's supporters have always know the issue was border security. So, if it's fence in some areas, a wall in others, and stepped up technology and enforcement in some areas.

What matters is accomplishing the goals, and not how it is done.

9. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Good interview in Washington Post today with a fake news creator (stupid phone refuses to do links, something broken) of stories far more egregious than work of sites Ragu defends (there's a difference, a big one, between opinions which are not grounded in facts, we all have those and just plain fake facts). He both profits from and is frightened by the fact there's one born every minute.

10. YankeeFan

Yep. That's part of the narrative. Fake news. FBI. Anything but blaming the candidate and the (lack of a) message.

There's one fake news story that the main stream media is in love with this morning. I wonder why they're taking this one story seriously?

11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Words don't matter.

12. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

It isn't just opponents who take politicians at their word. Supporters do too except for the all-ins like YF (and others here of all persuasions, you wouldn't post on this thread if you weren't committed). The voters who gave Trump his victories in swing states included many folks who took him on spec, as it were. They may see words vs. deeds differently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.