1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Agree wholeheartedly.

We need a common-sense immigration policy that treats everybody equally and doesn't catch legal citizens in its net and allows anybody who wants to live here, be productive, and follow our laws a path to do so.

Is that too much to ask?

2. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes. This is an issue that, despite the rhetoric, both parties treat the issue very similarly.

They might have different motivations -- though at some point, many Republicans had convinced themselves that hard working, pro-life, Catholic, Hispanic immigrants would be solid republican voters -- but they end up in the same place.

It's also a big reason for the split in the Republican Party between the base, and its leadership. It's part of what propelled Trump to victory.

3. YankeeFan

So I'm right!

4. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

In public policy circles, common-sense means "proposals I agree with."

5. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

You could be ...

6. YankeeFan

I'll take the B and just move on if it's all the same to you.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

They have completely different motivations although, yes, neither have cared.

8. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure. My point was that it would likely cost more to have a program to catch freeloading immigrants than you'd save. I also wouldn't trust Bannon/Trump to implement a rational plan.

9. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I completely understand your impulse to apply stricter regulation in the quest for economic nirvana and safer suburbs, but luckily in immigration we have a decent case study in Georgia.

The Law Of Unintended Consequences: Georgia's Immigration Law Backfires

10. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Tsk, tsk, tsk ... gettin' a hard-on because you get to point out the weak parts of an argument I haven't made and the flaws in a position I don't hold ... then again, I guess at our age we shouldn't look askance at any wood that sprouts.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

+1

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Those are perfectly reasonable objections to real quality-of-life issues faced by real immigrants. Even though those conditions are often preferable to the ones they left.

They're also completely irrelevant to the intended results of your president's actions and proposals.

He doesn't want to improve their quality of life. He wants them out. Period.

Donny in his element likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.