1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

Companies should be free to unleash plumes of toxic smoke. Anyone affected can just take the offender to court. .... but hopefully the court is located in a town not affected by the plume of toxic smoke.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Unfortunately, you are not the first person I have ever come across on a message board who creates phony characterizations of me, when they get flummoxed in conversations like this.

I don't want a police force given dictatorial authority to create rules and regulations around people's movements in life, in the name of preventing murders. If I said so, would you be a jackass and call me "pro murder"?

QYFW likes this.
  3. Justin_Rice

If you said, "regulating murder creates an unnecessary burden on our people; therefore let's not regulate murder, and affected people can just seek justice in our courts after the fact," yes - I would call you pro murder.

And no - I don't believe handing off the nuance of environmental regulations to congressional debate is a good idea.

FileNotFound likes this.
  4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

We shouldn't "preemptively try to manage people's behaviors."

5. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

It's a good thing I have never said things remotely close to your evolving bunch of carefully-crafted strawmen. I would be seriously stung if you called me "pro murder"!

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Does the court system have a good way to replace the freedom lost from being dead?

Hermes likes this.
  7. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

You people have issues.

8. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

I swear I remember Ragu once saying that if you get ill from eating tainted meat, it is your problem, nobody else's.

If i am wrong, I can be corrected.

9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Can you give us the search terms to find it? I don't want to spend too much time investigating the claim.

10. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I know he once argued that if a company sold poison, the market would take care of it if enough people decided they didn't want to buy it.

11. Justin_Rice

Except this ...

... is remotely close.

How much of a drag on our economy are you willing to endure, for example, to keep industry from dumping mercury into the Shenandoah River and destroying - again - my favorite smallmouth river?

Is that worth even $1 in regulatory burden? Or is that too much?

Should I be content to just wait for yet another fish kill, and then sue?

12. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

There's a good bit of prestige that obtains when one is strung up by the sj.com strawman squad.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.