1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

I'll write a few more Happy Jack Natco stories one of these days.

2. SnarkShark

SnarkShark Well-Known Member

I don't mind coffee out of a vending machine, either, if that's my only option. But if I have options, I'm getting good coffee for $2.75 (yes, that's how much a cup of black, venti coffee costs) instead of $1.50.

3. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Yes, Trump said this. He said it to draw a distinction between those he sees as "good people" who are against the tearing down of a statue, and the white supremacists, not as a defense of the white supremacists. And, he didn't define the "good people" as white nationalists either.

Now, I do believe he is wrong on this. I don't think there were many "good people" at this rally. It was promoted as a racist/neo-Nazi event, not some bland "defend the statue" event. I think "good people" that showed up, would have left when they saw what it was.

But, even if Trump is wrong, there's no fair reading ow what he said that could be interpreted as him defending white supremacists.

4. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

My rule stands: Anytime someone says 'this is why Democrats lose elections,' they really just mean "I don't like it and I think that attaching it to the complicated world of elections legitimizes my point."

5. RickStain

Trump not realizing there are no non-white supremacists on that side isn't a defense. It's why he doesn't realize he's a white supremacist too.

6. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

He took a horrible tack anyway for a president. His entire approach was bullshit.
    The moment, and the situation, called for moral leadership. Stop rationalizing his behavior.

TowelWaver and HanSenSE like this.
  7. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

It's funny how Germany manages to teach the history of the Holocaust and WWII (and its guilt) without any Nazi statues around.

8. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Do you believe that the Democrats - and by Democrats I mean Hillary Clinton - are complicit in any way for their own election defeat? I want to establish this baseline.

9. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

There are some good Nazis. ... But I'm not defending Nazis. :rolleyes:

I have no idea what is in the asshole's heart. ... but he was either intentionally blowing a dog whistle at a frequency bigots hear. ... or he was doubling down on an absolutely moronic tact because he couldn't bring himself to back down.

TowelWaver likes this.
  10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

That's not what he said.

You are responding to an imaginary post.

The question is whether it was appropriate for the New York Times, in a straight news headline, to write that he "defended white supremacists."

11. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

If you like it, drink it.

I think that, like a lot of things, if you get used to better coffee, you might not like your 7-11 coffee as much, but there's nothing wrong with drinking what you like.

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  12. RickStain

It is appropriate because he did. It's the same bullshit argument we've had before. All language is heavily contextual, and involves some degree of subjective interpretation. It is impossible to ever state anything without it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.