1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Gillespie could win. It's close. But if the very same polls that show Northam with a small lead showed Gillespie leading, everyone would assume the ball game was over and Gillespie was a shoo-in. One result of the 2016 election is that political media and many Democrats themselves now assume no Democrat will ever win a close election. This is the classic straight-line projection of Washington thought. Whatever happened last time will always happen again.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Those polls showing Northam with a “small lead” had him ahead by 6-10 points two weeks ago. He’s fading, and was just baited into voicing support for his opponent’s signature issue.

3. Michael_ Gee

Straight line projection again. Poll leads shrink more often than not. Most Virginia elections won by Democrats are close wins. McAuliffe, Kaine, Warner, Clinton and Obama twice. That's the relevant history here, not what the polls were when the baseball playoffs began.

4. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

I don’t think they deserve to be punched. Maybe just forced to drink Folgers for a week ...

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

But when it drops, that’ll be Crooked Hillary’s fault.

HanSenSE likes this.
  6. QYFW

QYFW Well-Known Member

How was he "baited"?

7. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Someone should have asked the distinguished Wharton grad what "beta" means ...

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Well, I mean, the whole issue is little more than “bait,” since it’s not a real issue here. I guess “unforced error” would probably be more accurate, though.

It shouldn’t be hard to keep track of the hot-button issues and where you stand on them.

9. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Ouch. That’s mean. :)

10. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I do think polls are less reliable these days because the Republicans are frequently nominating odious people for whom some respondents do not want to express verbal support. So they claim to be undecided or to be voting for the opponent when, in fact, they're going to betray any sense humanity and vote for the Trumpist. It will happen here. Take whatever the Trumpist has in the poll margin and add a couple of points.
    In Alabama, add 10 to Roy Moore's final poll numbers.

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

WTOP keeps interviewing three VA Guv candidates. I think the third one is a Libertarian. What percent might he draw?

12. Michael_ Gee

This question has been studied and there is little to no evidence to support your theory. People who answer polls are in general truthful. It's the increasing number of people, up to 90 percent, who won't answer phone calls or Internet solicitations by pollsters who're the real unknown in any election. Caller ID is on the verge of destroying polling as a business.

I Should Coco likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.