1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

And let's be clear here. In this situation, the child's interests are not being weighed (by the doctors, or the government that employs them) in isolation.

2. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Serious medical decisions don’t need to be one of them

3. RickStain

No life hangs in the balance here. The child is terminally ill. The balance has already tipped.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I don't know how more contradictory you can be than strident, "Americans want to be the boss of everyone they meet" statements, and then being the guy who unilaterally wants to tell everyone else who is best qualified to make decisions regarding their child (i.e -- an M.D.). There is a huge difference between beating a child or feeding them rocks (those are safety issues regarding people who don't have the capacity to protect themselves) and what we are discussing.

Most physicians (at least the ones with good judgment, and not the ones with god delusions) would be the first to tell you that what they do isn't magic. ESPECIALLY when it comes to dire medical situations. They can give you odds of things happening based on courses of treatment, they can lay out the pros and cons of a course of treatment relative to forgoing it or choosing another option, but a physician often doesn't have a clear-cut path, in terms of what the right thing to do is. And when you get into a situation in which you want them to make decisions about whether someone is better off dead than alive given their medical condition, you are straying even farther from the expertise they actually have. There is a reason that the many short-cut interpretations of the Hippocratic Oath distill it down to, "First, do no harm."

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Mainly due to extenuating circumstances, or an overriding public health concern, that did not exist in the Evans case.

6. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

There is nothing more personal than a serious medical decision.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

She's a close personal friend. Apparently, I'm the calm one in that particular friendship.

8. RickStain

Parents are not their children. It’s personal to the child. Since the child cannot make that decision on their own, a variety of adults are responsible for it. Ideally those adults can come to an agreement. If not, there is no need for a permanent, irrevocable parent veto.

9. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

10. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Desperate for change, Schilling, like so many other once reliable Democrats in these parts, responded enthusiastically to what Trump was saying...

Do, republicans voted for Trump out of party loyalty, but white, racist democrats switched their votes.

Odd, since I was told that Dems had ousted every last racist years ago,

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Regarding kids and their autonomy: A woman I know posted a photo on Facebook this morning of her kid in the dental chair. Of all the Facebook sharing tropes, the sick kid photo has to be one of the strangest. I've posted plenty of photos of my kids into my seasonal albums, but I'm starting to get queasier and queasier about it, to be honest.

Iron_chet and HanSenSE like this.
  12. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Why would I possibly care about this?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.