1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Trump: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Nov 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

There were so many in the US Army and Navy who were his peers if not equals. Gen. Steedman of Illinois who, ordered to charge into what sure looked like certain death at Chickamauga, stopped only to tell a staff officer to make sure his name was spelled correctly in the obituaries, then lead the charge on a horse. Horse shot out from under him he grabbed a flag and led it on foot. Charge won, he lived (a real miracle). Farragut at Mobile and New Orleans. Thomas at Chickamauga. Grant from start to finish. There were plenty of brave and talented generals on the Confederate side, but they were limited by their weird society's worldview. Guerrilla war, which would have worked , or at least worked better (see, Nathan Bedford Forrest) was considered ungentlemanly, indeed, dishonorable.

maumann likes this.
  2. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

As a former sport guy, whenever newsroom folks whine about election night, on any given Friday night, I laugh in their general direction. Their mothers were hamsters, and their fathers smelled of elderberries.

3. Michael_ Gee

To add to my above post, just as Hirohito accepting defeat was his greatest service to Japan, Lee surrendering at Appomattox was his greatest service to this country.

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Stephen Miller when he recovers from the rona.

[​IMG]

5. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

For you who remember Watergate. Is Claudia Conway Martha Mitchell?

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

His fucking up Gettysburg was rather valuable, too ... had he not done so, the war would have dragged on far longer than it did.

7. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

8. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

The honor he paid the, if we’re being honest, traitors during the surrender procession was maybe the classiest thing I’ve ever encountered.

maumann likes this.
  9. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He’d never survive cancel culture!

10. Regan MacNeil

Regan MacNeil Well-Known Member

I think, at 192 years young, we’d give him a pass.

11. Michael_ Gee

It was, remarkably, the basic posture of the entire Union army, from Grant and Sherman (!) on down. War's over, let's go home and forget it. Only time it was in danger was when the news of Lincoln's assassination reached Sherman. He showed it to Confederate Joe Johnston, who damn near fainted, and said, if your army does ANYTHING to celebrate this, I cannot control my troops. They didn't, and Johnston surrendered in due course. PS: When Sherman died in the 1880s, Johnston was a pallbearer in a huge NYC funeral conducted in pouring rain. Said Sherman would do the same if roles reversed. Johnston died shortly thereafter of pneumonia.

12. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.