1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Meanwhile on the International front....

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DanOregon, Apr 28, 2023.

1. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

I don’t think folks think the majority of younger people will vote for Trump. One of the concerns is that they won’t vote at all. They might not be excited about Biden enough to make the effort.

dixiehack likes this.
  2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

What LBJ's ads said in '64 will be true in '24.

"The stakes are too high for you to stay home."

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Any action or inaction that helps Trump in by people who want to help the Palestinians reaches that special level of stupid and ignorant.

Besides, I don't think anybody was excited about voting for Biden in 2020, but enough got out too vote for him to win, anyway.

wicked likes this.
  4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

https://wapo.st/484GxoO

According to the Committee to Protect Journalists (CPJ), at least 64 journalists have been killed in the Israel-Gaza war; 57 were Palestinian, four were Israeli and three were Lebanese. This war “has been the deadliest conflict for journalists that CPJ has ever recorded, in terms of documenting attacks on the press,” CPJ President Jodie Ginsberg said in an interview with the New Yorker.

For context, nearly as many journalists have been killed in two months in Gaza as were killed worldwide in 2022.

It’s not just that the journalists are being killed: Some believe they have been explicitly targeted, even outside Gaza.

5. outofplace

Some believe? Who? And what evidence do they have to support that belief?

6. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

8. outofplace

9. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

But what if one is blowing real smoke?

OOP's mind = Poof.

10. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

upload_2023-12-20_6-2-40.jpeg

11. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

You sure about that? You are on private property. And where is the clever public defender that has challenged these searches successfully, a result that would scare off stores from continuing the practice?

2muchcoffeeman likes this.
  12. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I'm sure about legally how it should be. But I am not sure about anything when it comes to what any given court will rule.

The way it should be legally: They can tell you to get off their property and not come back (what I said in the last part of the post), but if they forcefully stop you from leaving if you refuse to show a receipt, or they try to search you without probable cause (same standard the police would have), what they are doing should be criminal -- false imprisonment. i.e. -- unless they witness you actually committing a crime (stealing from them), they have no right to forcefully detain you.

The rub is what the court it ends up in front of will do the pervert the "probable cause" standard. And I have no idea if in practice any given court has ever ruled refusing to show a receipt constitutes probable cause. It shouldn't be, but there have been bigger perversions than that, so I wouldn't be surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted