1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MLB '24 Postseason thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Oct 1, 2024 at 7:49 AM.

1. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

While I understand the logic why postseason baseball has so many travel days between series and venues, I really wish it could be compressed more to get the World Series in before Halloween.

Yes, Seattle-Boston and San Francisco-Miami are impossible to play without a jet lag day, but Detroit-Cleveland will play two games with an off-day in between because of TV. And the Guardians haven't played since Sept. 28 because the season finale was rained out. Even New York-Kansas City is only one time zone difference in 2024.

If I had a better solution, I'd offer it. I don't, or at least until MLB expands and splits into Eastern and Western conferences. But it shouldn't take a whole month to play a maximum of 22 games.

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

3. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I was ruminating about Alonso’s bomb and it was pretty amazing on a couple of aspects:

1. It was off of Williams’s change up; and

2. He went opposite field on a change up.

Almost always an oppo HR is off a fastball because your swing is shorter and thus you need pitch to provide the velocity.

4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I got another one for you: How the hell is Ken Harrelson in the broadcaster's wing of the HOF and Caray isn't?

Octave likes this.
  5. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

And 3.) He'd been awful for a month and was stepping to the plate for possibly the final time with the team. Incredible.

qtlaw likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I do love the LDS matchups - Michigan v. Ohio? NY v. Philadelphia? San Diego v. LA - and there is more than a little history between KC and NY going back to the '70s Chris Chambliss walk-off. The trip around the bases was a hell of a lot more impressive than the HR. F-in Cosell stepped on Keith Jackson's HR call, what an ass. I really don't know if Chambliss touched home.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

When they took the lead, I mentioned to my nephew that a comeback seemed unlikely because they have such a good closer. Oops. lol

8. swingline

swingline Well-Known Member

Free Mike Shannon!

9. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Chamber of Commerce weather today in Cleveland for Game 1. Sunny and 72 for my son’s first playoff game. I’m excited to see his reaction to the ballpark in the postseason, a completely different experience than the regular season games he’s been to. Nothing is more fun than playoff baseball games in person.

Unless you get shut out.

10. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

11. maumann

maumann Well-Known Member

Have a great time. Hope it's a good game. I love day games in the postseason. Something magical about the history.

Draft saved Draft deleted