1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

President Biden: The NEW one and only politics thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Moderator1, Jan 20, 2021.

1. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

At least I've never been stereotyped as a potential troublemaker. I just the random Southern male who wants to strike up a conversation with me thinking I'll agree with him.

2. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

3. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

4. Driftwood

Driftwood Well-Known Member

Trump rally in Fayetteville, active duty solider mentions Fort Liberty, Trump crowd boos him.

Hey, SUPPORT THE TROOPS!

Trump promised to change the name back to Bragg.
    Lots of layers to this onion.

I would have never named it Bragg in the first place. I wouldn't have changed from Bragg, either, because I don't like renaming things whether it's for a good reason or not. It just creates confusion. Half the people call it one thing; the other half call it the other. When I hear Fort Liberty, I have to think for a minute where that is. The locations and businesses around Fayetteville that have Bragg in their name haven't changed. Plus, every time there is an election are we going to the expense of rebranding things? That is logistically insane.
    At this point, if something has been renamed, leave it alone. If something hasn't been renamed, leave it alone.

5. Justin_Rice

Justin_Rice Well-Known Member

I mean also ... lol Braxton Bragg as a Confederate General to honor is so face-palmy. What about Patrick Cleburne? Oh that's right - can't honor one of the South's best Division commanders, because near the end of the war he suggested freeing and army the slaves.

So instead we get Fort Bragg, a real dud of an army commander. See also: Fort Polk.

Driftwood likes this.
  6. garrow

garrow Well-Known Member

7. goalmouth

goalmouth Well-Known Member

Leon still fukcing the help?

8. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

A lot of those Confederate military post namings were to help grease some piece of legislation back in the day. It really is incredible how Reconstruction after the Civil War was mismanaged. All due to political convenience.
    I'd rename Ft. Liberty after a Muslim US soldier who died in Afghanistan or Iraq - really make some heads explode.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

10. Neutral Corner

11. Neutral Corner

12. Neutral Corner

Draft saved Draft deleted