1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

147th Open Walking Thread presented by Johnnie Walker Blue

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Chef2, Jun 25, 2018.

1. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Wrong thread. Right point

2. Deskgrunt50

Deskgrunt50 Well-Known Member

Never said it wasn’t. It’s huge. Point is that in 8-9 events, he’s played consistently well and improved his ranking into the top 50 (from in the thousands).

And, playing in an extra event is a great thing. More reps against another great field.

3. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Of course can't speak for him, but would bet that O'Connor wrote this more because it's what most want to read rather than
    what he truly believes.

micropolitan guy likes this.
  5. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

I'm not one to stick up for Tiger, but if on Jan 1 someone told you that by the middle of the summer he would finish:

T23
    Miss cut
    T2
    T5
    T32
    T55
    T11
    T23
    Miss cut
    T4
    T6

Wouldn't that increase your chances of thinking he could win at least one more major?

If you put those finishes against any other golfer not named Woods, wouldn't you think it'd be a guy who had a chance?

6. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's not happening anymore.

7. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

When the round was over, Woods started his remarks by saying that in January, even teeing it up in the Open seemed an unrealistic goal In some ways, it;'s like he's gone back in time and become a rookie again, except a rookie with more knowledge and less confidence, I see no reason why he won't be a leaderboard factor wherever he enters for at least the next couple of years. He just won't be as dominant as he was. Could he win another major? Sure. Would I bet him> Probably not.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Speith; man opportunity there while everyone was hacking.

Remember how Harrington lost his swing tinkering? woods too for a bit?

Speith looks like that with his overthinking, he’s taking mental fidgeting too far IMHO. It’s now swing changes, it’s mental approach changes.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2018
  9. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Yup. Heck, less than five years ago he was calling himself a mental midget in clutch situations. Of course, he wins in St. Louis in three weeks, he becomes immortal. He's had a terrible year, by his standards. Shoot even-par today and you walk away with the trophy.

10. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

"Wouldn't that increase your chances of thinking he could win at least one more major?"

Maybe. But I doubt he'll ever play another major on a course that forgiving of errant tee shots.

11. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Yeah, go back to where you're somewhat in your depth and start arguing about Uranium One on the politics thread, kid.

melock likes this.
  12. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Go ahead, and do a search. Let me know if you can find where I’ve mentioned that even one time here.

Draft saved Draft deleted