1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Rockbottom

Rockbottom Well-Known Member

No, she isn't. She's from Virginia.

I figure the switch is a way to cycle the title to Maria via some sort of three-way at Backlash.

rb

2. I'd like to see some sort of three-way with those Divas as well.

I couldn't resist. That was too easy.

3. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

You know what's fun? Watching Raw, then firing up the DVR and watching an old episode of AWA. In 22 years, Shawn Michaels has turned into a raisin.

4. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

According to PWInsider (and later, Dave Meltzer confirmed), WWE has replaced Joey Styles with Mike Adamle. Styles reportedly will be transferred over to work on WWE.com.

Wow. Good thing Jeff Harvey ... errrrr ... Jeff Hardy is suspended.

What an awful decision. Though I don't think Joey Styles has been a great announcer in WWE, all insider reports indicate that he's being so overproduced, it's not even funny. The ironic thing is, everything they (Vince) want Styles to be, he is naturally. They just don't allow him to be himself.

Mike Adamle? God awful.

Why did they even bother to bring back ECW if it wasn't even going to resemble ... you know ... ECW?

5. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

I don't think Vince cares what it resembles. That's why.

6. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

You're exactly right. My question was more rhetorical and out of frustration.
    WWE has such a great opportunity to provide wrestling fans with a different style of programming three nights a week, to appeal to all different audiences. Instead, Vince wants one style crammed down everyone's throat.

7. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

...oh my God.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

No no, no more of that.

9. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Part of it Vince sees ECW as a training outpost, like AA-ball. So it doesn't make sense for WWE to train up guys to wrestle in a way they're not going to allow if/when they move to Smackdown or Raw. ECW was probably used as a name to pop early ratings for the show, which it did, but once the ECW Originals broke down, went nuts or lost the nostalga pop, they were left to younger wrestlers whom again, they don't want to train to do things they'd have to untrain them to do later.

I'd imagine this move was to convince Styles to walk away rather than firing him. Not sure where he'd go -- TNA in theory, but would he really fit in there? ROH doesn't have TV, right?

11. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

Saturday nights after work, I'll occasionally show up at a small bar in town. The back-door bouncer always has the TNA rerun on TV. I'll set up there for a few minutes to watch a match if there's a decent one going.

The jukebox is always playing, which means I don't have to hear Mike Tenay and Don West. Just the way I like it.

12. Tripp McNeely

Tripp McNeely Member

Agreed. Those two screaming idiots are a main reason why I can't get into TNA.
    I'd love to see Joey Styles go to TNA and be unleashed. Sure, he's not what he used to be, but he's a damn far sight better than Tenay and West.

Draft saved Draft deleted