1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Styles is still pretty good, even though the WWE has taken away his edge. Adamle is a train wreck waiting to happen.

2. Baron Scicluna

I figured they did the title switch because they don't go to Europe that often. They want to make the card extra special, so they give the fans a title switch.

3. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I thought the Jericho-Umaga match was boring at first, but as it went on I got more into it. By the end I thought it was a great match. It put Jericho back on the map a little, was believable how he won, and gave a couple of talented guys a nice long timeslot to show their skills.

I thought Orton was hurt bad at first too. Seeing it live, I thought he might have broken his neck until he put his foot on the ropes. Then seeing the referee slide out to check on him and putting up some sort of "X" sign with his arms, it looked like a legit nasty bump.
    On a side note, does anyone have any idea what signals the referees use to indicate certain things? That "X" the ref used in the Orton-Regal match looked like something. Either for time, or to let someone know Orton was OK. And I've noticed some referees put their right hand on their head toward the end of matches, seemingly as a "wrap it up" signal.

4. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

The overhead X used to always mean a legit injury, but once fans got wise to it (I think this happened after Triple H's first quad tear), they started using it as a work.

5. Baron Scicluna

Agreed on the worked 'X' signal. Refs may also put their hand on the right side for their earpieces, which people in the back tell them to end the match.

Back in the day before electronic signals, Gorilla Monsoon used to tell Howard Finkel when the match would end. Howard would put a pencil in his mouth to signal the ref, who would tell the wrestlers. There's a funny story in which the guys in the ring were ignoring Howard's signal, so Gorilla walked out from the backstage to ringside, then yelled out "GO HOME!"

6. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

7. ROH doesn't have regular TV, but has PPVs every few months and their DVDs. The guy on there now are decent and have gotten better, mainly because of the PPVs. One of their problems is both do play-by-play, which can be annoying.

8. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Clinton, Obama and McCain are all scheduled to speak during Raw's telecast tonight.

http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/6908728

9. Barack Obama’s segment was pretty good on Raw. Somehow he tied in tonight’s King of Ring with politics and then ended by saying “Do you smell what Barack is cooking?” Clever. I see his goal was to talk in the language of WWE fans.

John McCain later tried a similar tactic but was awful. He said, “Can you smell what the Mac is cooking?” And “That’s the bottom line because John McCain said so.’’ His seemed too forced.

10. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Did anyone think tonight's show, Barack's speech not included, was very blaise tonight?

11. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

Unwatchable is more like it.

Terrible show. Regal as KOTR? Over CM Punk cleanly? What a letdown.

12. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Well, I just thought the writers had the night off or something. It was beyond pathetic. I went out to eat with my family and watched it on DVR when I got back. It took me probably a total of 35 minutes to watch the full three hours, and that was mainly because I stopped to watch that train wreck of a Hillary-Obama smackdown for five minutes.

Speaking of that smackdown, is WWE trying to fail on purpose? I mean, first the Mayweather-Show thing played to a chorus of boos in every arena (except for the great save at WM) and now that crap with Hillary and Obama. WWE needs to stick to what it does best, involve wrestlers in interesting storylines. This other crap's not working.

Draft saved Draft deleted