1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That ending sucked. It seemed like something late 90s WCW or TNA would pull.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

so orton envoked his rematch clause for that? i knew something had to be up when they came back from break and orton's music was still playing.

3. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I didn't see it, so I don't know how it played out, but in principle I like that they'll take a chance with an odd ending. And it beats having Orton job twice in a row, or having a hot-shot title change that makes you feel stupid for paying for the PPV, or a predictable run-in. And it assists Regal's development as more than goofy commish/mid-card heel.

4. KYSportsWriter

also, the promo jericho cut on hbk was fucking awesome. i hope they keep building this heel turn leading up to their match at one of the next ppv. i just hope they dont rush and screw just because they have two ppvs within a few weeks of each other. at least y2j isnt in a lame feud with jbl anymore.

5. Baron Scicluna

Ending could have been better if perhaps Regal would have walked down the ramp, grabbed a mike, then stopped the match on TV, followed by both Orton and HHH getting pissed off.

Instead, they cut away from the match to the control room, where Regal starts yelling and choking a producer until the screen fades to black. You hear JR and King broadcasting a few seconds, then the show ends.

Like I said, ending sucked.

On the other hand, I liked Jericho's promo, and got a kick out of seeing the Fuji General clip again.

6. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

All that was missing was someone's back getting spray-painted, followed by a shower of beer cans and Tony Schiavone's grating screams.

Come to think of it, I'd rather have seen the nWo — yes, even Bagwell, Vincent, Horace and Norton — attack Orton and Trip to end the show.

7. KYSportsWriter

what about stevie ray and the impostor sting?

8. Baron Scicluna

Thing is, the NWO was actually a great concept when you just had Hogan, Hall, Nash, Syxx, and maybe Dibiase as a manager. Then it got a 'little' out of hand.

9. carson08

carson08 New Member

The point of the "terrible" ending was to get you to hate the ending. What did you expect? Triple H to go over clean? Orton to get Dq'ed? They threw a little twist iin. Regal is now feuding with Kennedy and they have to make one the clear cut heel. It's a clever ending. It's never been doine before. And do you think you really missed anything? It was obviously Triple H wasn't losing the title. We wouldn't see anything we haven't seen out of these two before.

10. EmbassyRow

EmbassyRow Active Member

I don't think an honest-to-God, one-two-three or tap-out ending of a match on television is too much to ask. This didn't help develop an angle, IMHO, as effectively as Regal popping Kennedy (KENNEDY!) in the ring.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Yeah, but if Orton jobbed clean for the second time in 24 hours, it would have really hurt him. Plus everyone would be up in arms about Triple H running roughshod in creative. Orton wasn't going to win the title right back, because they got grief when they hot-shotted the title twice on the same show, and if you go to that well too often, you look like WCW in its dying days. I wouldn't want this to become the new Dusty Finish, but I'm willing to tolerate a curveball or three.

12. KYSportsWriter

the dusty finish?

Draft saved Draft deleted