1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Class act.
    Especially just ending it with everyone clapping and Ric hugging people.

2. JBHawkEye

JBHawkEye Well-Known Member

The Four Horsemen should have come out last.

A great tribute, though, although I wish Sting could have been there. They had some classic matches.

3. NDub

NDub Guest

Well, that was certainly touching. A great send-off for The Nature Boy.

4. taller hack

taller hack Member

i'm not old enough to really remember him at his best, but i still had tears in my eyes during that. just great

5. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Did anyone see Taker out there? If not, why do they continue to be so protective of his "deadman" character, especially when he already reverted to a "normal" person with the biker gimmick?

6. NatureBoy

NatureBoy Member

Considering my screen name, I probably should add my thoughts:

I didn't spend 60 bucks on Wrestlemania, but I gave it some thought just to watch the Flair-Michaels match. The man quite simply is the greatest professional wrestler ever and I still consider his 2/3 falls match against Steamboat on Clash of the Champions as the greatest match I've ever seen.

If you ever read his book, you know what he's gone through (some self-inflicted, most he didn't deserve) in his career and that he's always put the business first. That was an awesome tribute to the man tonight.

And if Hulk Hogan was watching that, he had better realize he'll never get a send-off like that. Ever.

7. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Damn right. That Clash match was the best ever. I'm glad they got Steamboat to come back for the tribute.

I was waiting for Hogan to come out and give him the send-off, or for "Hollywood" to ruin it. It's funny that the person who made his career by being a heel is given the royal send-off at the end of his career, while the "real American's" image is more than somewhat tarnished at the end of his.

8. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Very impressive send-off, I must say. Nice to see Edge be the first one out of the tunnel and for the crowd to respectfully applaud upon seeing him. Of course, I figured the roster would be out right behind him, but I had no idea there were really that many guys around.

What was Chris Jericho's connection that garnered him the special entrance?

And how about Dean Malenko? A lot of the other guys look old, but we haven't seen them in so many years. Malenko, for being off air for three years, looked like he gained 10.

9. printdust

printdust New Member

The send off on Monday was classy from several standpoints- WWE could have kept this to highlights of a pay-per-view farewell done 24 hours earlier with all the pomp of Monday's bit but they didn't. To their credit, and yes it was a ratings boom, good for them.

I thought Cena was going to lose it as he watched Michaels come in and hug Flair...and I noted Michael's hat tipped where his eyes were shielded from the camera on his entry.

I don't understand the Hulk Hogan remark - what was his bad?

Also, where in the hell was McMahon tonight?

10. printdust

printdust New Member

Was Malenko once Professor Malenko? and if not, anyone remember a Professor Malenko?

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Hogan has never had a send-off, because he's never officially "retired" ... he just shows up every few years, expects the top, young name to do the J-O-B for his no-selling, burying, immobile ass, then take another year or two hiatus until he needs another ego boost.

After watching this tonight, I really wish I would've been able to watch more NWA and WCW instead of WWF when I was younger.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

If you read Flair's book, you'll see why so many wrestlers have a distain for Hogan. As for McMahon. With the "lose and leave" story line, he wouldn't have been that popular with the fans -- though I would've liked to have seen him give Flair the old WCW belt as a token of his amd the "sport's" appreciation.

Draft saved Draft deleted