1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2008 Running Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 11, 2008.

1. Mike Knox is exactly the first guy who comes to mind when I think of juicers. Then again, neither was Umaga.

2. I'm assuming that was tonight? I was in the air traveling. They had a pretty good confrontation on Smackdown as well.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Didn't get to see it because of some basketball game.

What happened?

4. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

HBK and Batista were on Jericho's Highlight Reel. Batista called out Shawn, saying HBK's ego was the reason he retired Flair and that there has been so much blood on his hands during his lengthy career (certainly referencing the Montreal Screwjob). Michaels responded by saying Flair handpicked him to wrestle at WM and that Batista could not give Naitch the match he wanted. Back and forth it went and it was pretty good stuff, until Batista said he has already done something about this matter, and walked out of the ring. What that something is, who knows?

Anyway, the rest of the show itself was very lackluster. Main event of Backlash is Orton vs. Cena vs. HHH vs. JBL for the championship. Yawn. I'd rather see Orton-HHH go at it 1-on-1 and Cena-JBL get a seperate program to work with.

5. KYSportsWriter

A four-way match? WTF? How the hell does JBL get a shot? Holy hell ... Just give Trips the strap already.

6. SlickWillie71

SlickWillie71 Member

It was obviously no way they could have topped last week's Raw, so I can't say the fact it was lackluster was shocking. You had to know there was no way Orton/JBL were going to get main event status by themselves, but another Fatal Four-Way? Please....

Nice to see they remembered Mickie James still existed, but damn....Beth Phoenix.....

7. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Raw sucked donkey dicks. Big, hairy ones.

Let's see: HHH jobs out the WWE champion AND the No. 1 contender, BY HIMSELF, with NO HELP from anyone.

Then John Cena, arguably the WWE's top current star, has to HAVE HELP just to beat JBL, while Trips stands on the apron doing nothing. Randy Orton comes in and hits the RKO on JBL so Cena can "escape" with the win.

Then, AFTER the show is off the air, Cena gets jumped by the bad guys and who makes the save? If you don't know, you haven't been paying attention.

HHH is still the biggest, most egotistical piece of shit in pro wrestling. Damn, I wish another quad would tear.

8. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

I can't for the life of me understand Layfield's push. The JBL character just never has done anything for me. Didn't the J.R. Ewing types go out of style by the late '80s?

9. bostonbred

bostonbred Guest

He's good friends with the McMahons. Enough said. Sadly, someone like Jericho deserves that spot.

10. KYSportsWriter

Yet as long as JBL is all goody-goody with the McMahons, no one deserving will get that spot.

11. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

I wouldn't go overboard with the JBL hate. I wasn't a big fan of the push initially -- why in hell was the white guy in the APA suddenly a world champion again? -- but he did a pretty credible job upping his workrate, he's a good interview and he filled that Ted DiBiase role pretty nicely. Now he's been no great shakes since coming out of retirement, which seemed pretty abrupt, but I don't think it's as bad as all that either.

And Jericho has bored the shit out of me since his much-hyped comeback. He shouldn't be a face whatsoever, and after the nostalga kick wore off, he's got nothing new other than a stupid haircut and a variation of Carlito's finisher. Obviously he's a great worker, but I don't see a world champion in him right now (it didn't help that he's bouncing between feuds nearly every month, though)

12. KYSportsWriter

They need to let Jericho grow his hair back out the way it was and turn him heel. He's never played the face role all that well.

Draft saved Draft deleted