1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 1, 2010.

1. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

While I'm sure there's money to be made in a Cena heel turn (everybody booing him now finally getting to enjoy seeing him get his ass kicked), it would probably help cement him as a babyface in the long run.

Think about the Rock's career arc. He went from squeaky-clean hero to heel that told fans to shove it up their ass. Ultimately it gave him a credibility that once he went back to the babyface side, smarter fans didn't look at him as such a pre-packaged phony.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Wasn't Rock a heel starting out?

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's already happened with Cena once. He started out as the babyface underdog, then was the rapping heel. Fans cheered him, so they turned him face.

4. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

He was Third-Generation Superstar Rocky Maivia in his first months, clean-cut and perpetually smiling, and people hated him, because he was bland and not especially good in the ring and he got the IC title out of nowhere. Then they moved him into the Nation of Domination, and that started the ball rolling.

5. KYSportsWriter

Thanks for refreshing my memory. I remember the "Die Rocky, Die" chants each week.

Also, anyone know who the guy who "converted" to the straightedge lifestyle last week on Smackdown? Was it a developmental guy?

6. KYSportsWriter

And something else, Festus or whatever the hell they're calling him sucks on the mic. He was better as Festus when he didn't talk.

Speaking of Festus, whatever happened to Jesse?

7. billikens

billikens Member

I remember some of the promos he cut shortly after returning with the Nation of Domination. He started coming out, telling the people they wanted to hear his thoughts about all sorts of controversial current events. Then he'd just start ripping on people. It became a weekly event, waiting for him to get on the mic. After the Rocky Maivia stuff, it was like he was an entirely different person.

Kind of reminds me of someone else right now. I doubt the Miz ever enters the same stratosphere the Rock was in, but I sure do enjoy it when he's got a mic in his hands.

8. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

You know, a year ago at this time I thought Miz was a waste of time. Funny what actually giving the guy a gimmick will do.

Miz is awesome and, at first, I thought it was just on the mic but he's gotten damn good over the last six months or so in the ring.

His feud with Kofi was awesome, especially his match at Breaking Point, and each week I find myself liking him more and more.

He'll have to put some more muscle on but I could see him being a legit main eventer in three years or so.

9. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

I've said it before, but I'll say it again -- this is one time when Cena burying someone is going to work out phenomenally well if they play their cards right.
    If Miz keeps improving, and they keep pushing some of the younger guys, I can see him breaking into the main event picture over the summer. Maybe he even wins MITB. Eventually he feuds with Cena for one of the big belts, and a key point of the feud is Cena's demolition of Miz in 2009. Miz talks about how he realizes now that he wasn't ready, and the losses to Cena pushed him to get better.
    If Miz is ready, the two have a great payoff match at one of the bigger PPVs, Miz wins and becomes the next great WWE star.

10. KYSportsWriter

Has anyone figured out just what a Miz is?

11. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Yeah. Mike Mizanin.

12. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I still remember a promo he gave as Rocky Maivia where he was going to defend the IC belt against Bret Hart on Raw. The fans were booing the hell out of him, but he had such a commanding voice, I thought to myself, "They should turn that guy heel. He sounds great."

Couple of months later, he became a heel.

Draft saved Draft deleted