1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 1, 2010.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I haven't watched, but bah! They should have let Christian finish with the belt. While I don't think he ever wrestled under the "real" ECW, I don't doubt that he could have, like Jericho and other "big" stars did for a bit between WCW and WWE / WWF stints. Jackson still isn't over enough to me to win any sort of major or intermediate title.

2. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Agreed. It also would have given a plausible storyline for an Edge (as champion) and Christian feud down the line. As the last ECW champion, Christian could have been given a MITB-type deal where he gets a title shot somewhere down the line.
    I assume they'll do something similar with Jackson, but he's not ready right now from what I've seen of him.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Nah. They should've brought this guy back and let him be the last champion of ECW:

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

That would've been an awesome send-off, TMC. Bring back Dreamer and RVD and let them wrestle the last ECW match under extreme rules.

5. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

I did think they'd have Zeke pose with the title for a few seconds, then ... ONE OF A KIND! goes blaring out of the sound system and RVD comes out for an impromptu match in which he retires the belt. And if they had planned ECW's demise a little better, they could have announced the end a couple of months ago, then had the Homecoming tournament/battle royale to determine, once and for all, the true spirit of ECW. Keep Dreamer around so that he can take part, maybe have him eliminate Regal or Zeke in the battle royale to retire ECW one and for all.

That said, I understand why they'd let Zeke have the belt at the end. It gives him some credibility as he moves to Raw or Smackdown. He's gotten better in the last few months, probably a result of working with Christian and being around Regal. Kind of a downer of an ending to ECW, but it's not like they would have gotten a big emotional response at the end anyway in front of a Smackdown crowd that pretty much never cared about the product.

As for NXT: I'm looking forward to it (knowing that it'll crap out sooner rather than later). In particular, I like the Miz/Bryan Danielson combination, because they're as far apart from each other personality-wise as you could imagine for characters. I'm guessing this will end in a feud between the two, whether Danielson ... er, Daniel Bryan wins this thing or not. I'm a little disappointed that there aren't more prominent Florida Championship Wrestling guys like the former Lo-Ki, Brett DiBiase and Joe Hennig, but they'll probably get called up anyway.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The finest moment of the McMahon ECW:
    :D

7. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Is that the Hammerstein Ballroom? Those f**kers are crazy. I'll never forget the "If Cena wins, we riot" sign and the general feeling that the crowd was serious. lol.

8. Petrie

Petrie Guest

Fantastic. It looked like it legitimately pissed Batista off, but Big Show had some fun with it.

9. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

So, anyone else interested in this NXT thing? I wasn't going to check it out but it seems genuinely interesting. I only wonder if it's going to be like Tough Enough/The Ultimate Fighter or if it's going to be a work and everyone's going to be in character the whole time.

I'm genuinely hoping to see guys like the Miz, Jericho and Punk out of their character. I think that would be fascinating to watch.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I remember that as well. That was the last time McMahon had an ECW show in anything resembling an ECW atmosphere.

I would think that they would be somewhat out of character. People are going to roll their eyes if they try to work it too much.

11. I nearly pissed my pants watching that. I really miss the real ECW.

12. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Dropping Survivor Series wasn't the only shake-up to WWE's PPV lineup. The whole damn thing is being shuffled.
    Backlash is gone and there's something called "Fatal Four Way" and "Money in the Bank" in June and July. In May is something called "WWE Wild Card." A couple other PPVs are switching places on the schedule.
    I think it's a terrible idea if they're adding an entire PPV of MITB matches. It's a great concept, but it's perfect where and how they execute it now. Doing a full card of those would take away some of its uniqueness.
    A card of fatal four way title matches could be interesting, although it seems they could have made them elimination matches and adapted the idea to Survivor Series.

Here's a link to the PW Torch story:
    http://pwtorch.com/artman2/publish/WWE_News_3/article_39174.shtml

Draft saved Draft deleted