1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2010 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HandsomeHarley, Jan 1, 2010.

1. littlehurt98

littlehurt98 Member

WWE released Gregory Helms, Paul Burchill and Maria this past week. I must say I'm saddened to see Maria go. I know they played her off as being dumb as a sack of rocks, but damn those were some great rocks!

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I liked the Maria dumb as rocks character. It actually gave her an interesting personality, unless some of the bland Divas they have now.

And yeah, she was quite easy on the eyes.

3. CitizenTino

CitizenTino Active Member

Odd timing on getting rid of Maria, seeing how she's on the upcoming season of Celebrity Apprentice, which starts, I think, next Sunday. Wonder how they'll ID her on there now.

4. Why would they get rid of Maria? I know she's not in the ring much, but I was under the impression she was one of the more popular divas on the roster.

5. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Internet speculation was that the release was mutual, in that she wanted to pursue some Hollywood stuff, and WWE didn't mind that she did that because she wasn't much in the ring anyway. I imagine that it was probably an amicable split, and that they'll both continue to acknowledge one another.

6. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Saw an interview with her earlier today (can't find the link right now, but I think it was on the PW Insider site) that it was somewhat mutual. She did want to do the outside stuff, WWE wanted her to do the outside stuff, but she felt WWE wanted too much say in her outside projects. In effect, she felt they were trying to control her career.

7. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

Weird. I never got the impression WWE brass was controlling.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

And the strange thing is, they're a lot better about that stuff now than they were about 20 years ago. They used to never allow the wrestlers to do any interviews or outside stuff.

In Bret Hart's book, he wrote about how Sgt. Slaughter had got his own action figure through GI Joe and how the WWF fired him because they weren't receiving a cut of it.

9. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

Yeah, but that was when wrestling was considered real by a lot of fans. Now, everyone knows it's all an act.

10. StaggerLee

StaggerLee Well-Known Member

That is a very good point. Those guys pretty much had to stay in character, otherwise they'd completely destroy the illusion.

11. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

You ever hear some of the old-timers like Flair or Piper tell stories about shady promoters? For most guys, it's not like there was much choice in giving the promoters control. If you were lucky they'd just blackball. Unlucky, they might start breaking limbs or give other wrestlers "bonuses" to do it in the ring.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

Pretty good opening segment with HHH telling HBK that he believes in him after teasing that he didn't think he'd win against Taker at WM. They're getting their rematch with ShowMiz for the titles tonight, during which I presume HBK will turn on HHH.

And into every life some lame guest host shit must fall

Draft saved Draft deleted