1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014-15 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I figure this is needed with the Rex Ryan rumors, the Harbaugh rumors and the Raiders opening.

This way we can keep it off the Weekly NFL thread.

2. Morris816

Morris816 Member

OK, I'll bite. Coaches likely to get mentioned as either fired during or after the season, or might depart on their own terms, listed by division.

AFC East
    Doug Marrone, Buffalo
    Joe Philbin, Miami
    Rex Ryan, NY Jets

AFC North
    Mike Tomlin, Pittsburgh

AFC South
    Gus Bradley, Jacksonville

NFC East
    Jason Garrett, Dallas
    Tom Coughlin, NY Giants

NFC South
    Ron Rivera, Carolina

NFC West
    Jim Harbaugh, San Francisco
    Jeff Fisher, St. Louis

Some are likely to be fired (Ryan), others likely won't be (Tomlin), and at least a couple are on the list because they may leave on their own terms (Coughlin comes to my mind before Harbaugh, actually).

3. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

While admitting it's pretty early for a "he gone" prediction, I'll also play along ...

Gone: Ryan, Bradley, Coughlin (of his own choosing), Harbaugh (of his own choosing or mutual agreement) and Fisher, with Rivera an interesting one to watch. If the Panthers don't show much more than they have so far, you could easily draw the conclusion that last season was the fluke for him as a coach.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The Panther's problems aren't Rivera's fault. They're the GM's fault (or, I think, the previous GM's fault.)

5. Morris816

Morris816 Member

A lot of it is on the previous GM (Hurney). He gave bad contracts to DeAngelo Williams and Jonathan Stewart. I believe Charles Johnson's current deal was also signed when Hurney was still GM. As I recall, the new GM (Gettleman) restructured Stewart's contract, but the Panthers still won't get cap relief by releasing him until after the 2015 season.

6. RecoveringJournalist

I think Rex wants out of New York. I think he knows he's pretty highly-regarded around the league and he'll be successful if he waits for the right job.

If Harbaugh leaves SF, I think it will be one of those late moves where it looks like he's going to stick around and then Oakland, Miami, Cleveland or someone trades a couple picks for him. If the Niners do that, they deserve whatever they get. If he quits, unless he goes to Michigan or another school, he can't take another job unless the Niners let him out of his contract. I don't think that will happen.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I don't think the Rams will ditch Fisher yet.
    Who knows when Coughlin and Belichick will retire?

Ryan, Marrone and Philbin are the ones who I think have a long, long road ahead if they're going to keep their jobs.

8. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

The Bills, so far, have outstripped any reasonable expectations based on their W-L record. Now I'm highly dubious it will continue. But they've been a surprise.

9. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I don't think they can bear to keep him. They'll let him go anywhere he wants. Might not even ask for a draft pick.

Harbaugh has a four-year expiration date in any human interaction.

10. Morris816

Morris816 Member

The question will be whether or not the Pelugas want a change in the front office. Doug Whaley has only been GM for a little more than a year, but then again, he worked under Buddy Nix, who still works elsewhere with the organization. If the Pegulas decides to fire Whaley and Nix so they can choose their own GM, Marrone may be gone.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

The Bills situation is predicated mostly by what the new owners want to do. I think Fisher is safe, coaches usually get at least one qb who is "their" guy. I think the Jags would be dumb to dump Bradley. Philbin doesn't seem to be the answer in Miami. I don't think Mike Smith survives another year out of the playoffs.

12. BurnsWhenIPee

BurnsWhenIPee Well-Known Member

One reason Fisher may be safe is because he has a history with coaching franchises that relocate.

But it seems like every time Bradford gets injured, he gets a reset button on his job with the Rams. Sorry your QB keeps getting hurt, but that shouldn't mean that every single other unit on the team gets a free pass to be shitty.

Draft saved Draft deleted