1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014-15 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 8, 2014.

1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Should not even be a question whether Marrone is safe. He's done a hell of a coaching job. Decision to sit Manuel and start Orton
    was a gutsy one and saved the season.

2. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Is Philbin still safe?

3. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

I very much suspect not. Dolphins have blown every opportunity they had this year to be better than mediocre, just as they did last year.

4. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

I know I read somewhere recently that he's out if they don't make the playoffs. Can't remember where I saw that, though.........

5. RecoveringJournalist

I saw the same thing somewhere, sometimes I think that shit is just people guessing.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Apparently the owner met with Marino and Mike Tannenbaum yesterday. Tannenbaum makes sense because he's a big-time coaching agent now. Why the fuck they would listen to Dan Marino about anything is a mystery, but they've done it before.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I remember the Dolphins hired Tannenbaum as a consultant before the season. It's interesting because Tannenbaum has clients from several different sports. I think the best-known football coach he has is Hue Jackson. Maybe that's changed recently. He's made more of a mark in the NBA than he has in the NFL.

8. RecoveringJournalist

It's being reported that Trestman is expected to be fired. I've also seen things that suggest Coughlin is safe.

So...

Definitely, or very, very likely...

49ers
    Raiders
    Jets
    Bears
    Dolphins
    Redskins

Maybe
    Falcons
    Panthers

Probably not
    Titans
    Bucs
    Jaguars

Am I forgetting anyone?

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I don't think Gruden's being fired

10. RecoveringJournalist

That's probably going to be the most interesting one to watch, well, that and what the Niners try to do with Harbaugh (if anything).

I would think the 49ers and Bears would both be looking at Bevell and Hamilton to try to rescue their failing QBs.

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I assume the Falcons job will be this year's equivalent of the Texans last year, as the best job out there. SF & Miami also look like pretty good jobs.

12. RecoveringJournalist

That's a tough call. I think people will think the 49ers is the best job, but I'm honestly not sure that's the case. It will depend how much that team is going to be blown up.

The Falcons need to retool the line and the defense. The Dolphins have been one of the worst franchises in the league for the last 10-15 years. I think Philbin is the seventh head coach since the beginning of the 2004 season. Even if you subtract the two interim coaches, that's freaking horrendous.

Jimmy Johnson was the last coach to last four full seasons.

Draft saved Draft deleted