1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014-15 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RecoveringJournalist, Oct 8, 2014.

1. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

For the Bay Area guys on here, what names are being mentioned for a possible Niners opening? I read something yesterday that seemed to indicated that Tomsula was the overwhelming choice to be promoted from within.

Someone said on Twitter that if the Raiders don't want to give up a draft pick for Harbaugh, all they have to do is ask to interview Tomsula.

I'm trying to think of an instance where as assistant was promoted from within and went on to do well. Jeff Fisher, George Seifert jump to mind, but those both were at least 20 years ago.

2. RecoveringJournalist

If I'm the Raiders, I reach out to the Niners today and see if negotiations for Harbaugh can start, but I'm guessing nothing will happen until McKenzie is fired.

3. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

The name being repeated most often here is defensive line coach Jim Tomsula -- the players love him, and it would follow with the thinking that York/Baalke have this team headed in the right direction and it was only Harbaugh getting in the way. But I think the whole thing could take a while.

Regarding Harbaugh and the Raiders ... why would they reach out to the Niners at all? There aren't going to be any negotiations. Everyone knows he's getting fired. There's no need to work a trade.

4. RecoveringJournalist

I don't know. You may be right. But, if you're the Raiders, wouldn't it be worth giving up a third-round pick to be able to get Harbaugh, rather than have him hit the open market? I could see the Niners hanging on to Harbaugh until some of the openings are filled. It could be one hell of a pissing match. I don't think they're just going to fire him unless it's mid-February.

5. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

If I were hiring Harbaugh I would tell him not to bring Greg Roman with him.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

That's the one thing that is not happening. It's over for Harbaugh in SF.

7. RecoveringJournalist

I've wondered since the Super Bowl loss if the problem is Roman or Kaepernick.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

The problem is they're overloading Kaepernick's brain. At this point simplify it the fuck up with 3 or 4 basic plays. Run the shit out of them until he learns to call a play in the huddle, get everyone lined up, do all the barking, and get the ball in his hand. I don't give a shit about teh 49ers but I've grown to loathe all of the audible'izing and whatnot at the line. Just fucking line up, bark the signals, get the ball and run the play. Every OC thinks they can turn their QB into Peyton OMAHA! Manning. It's infuriating, and especially with Kaepernick.

9. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

The Eagles have gotten more out of Sanchez than they could reasonably have expected. Bitching that a backup quarterback isn't very good is really stupid.

11. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

After watching Sanchez for years with The Jets it was predictable how he would perform and he has lived up
    to expectations. When things are going bad, be assured he will make it worse.

12. Morris816

Morris816 Member

So it looks like Jason Garrett's job is safe.

I suspect Doug Marrone is safe as well, even if the Bills miss the playoffs. The fact they've stayed in contention thanks to how well their defense has played will likely give Marrone another year.

I have no idea what they'll do for a quarterback, though.

Draft saved Draft deleted