1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Last week: Oakland A's reach a deal to stay at the Coliseum for 10 years.

This week: SF Chronicle reports Raiders plan to tear down the Coliseum and build a new stadium on the site by 2018:

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/matier-ross/article/Raiders-in-talks-to-tear-down-Coliseum-despite-5607825.php

Such a Raiders move. It's like Al Davis never died.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Yeah I posted the other paper's story about that on the baseball thread. The update today is that the Raiders now aren't opposing the A's deal and the mayor wants to finalize it. The Raiders' developer has backed off that tight timeline and said the A's can have their two years.

Basically Oakland has tried to keep both on the hook, but now it's time to choose one or the other.

3. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Cris Carter was not only an addict, he was a bad attitude player on a team that was run pretty loosely.
    His attitude wasn't always that great in Minnesota, either.
    Gordon is just an idiot.

4. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Why any team in any sport would want to stay in that 45-year-old dump for another 10 years in beyond me. That place is far worse than Candlestick Park ever was.

Raiders need to get back to Los Angeles before someone else takes their parking place.

5. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Bumping this to get back into the correct year.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

The Graham signing was interesting. 4-years, $40 million with $21 million guaranteed.

I'm guessing Vernon Davis will be unhappy that the number wasn't higher.

7. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Awesome: http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/dallas-cowboys/headlines/20140715-source-dallas-cowboys-to-release-backup-quarterback-kyle-orton.ece

Only because this means that Brandon Weeden could be the Cowboys QB.

A man can dream....a man can dream....

8. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

I wonder if that means Romo is healthy or if it's simply a cap issue. If memory serves, Orton was one of the highest-paid backups.

9. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

It has been my experience that when the question begins with "Why did they..." or "Why don't they..." the answer is usually "money".

10. da man

da man Well-Known Member

It means Orton doesn't want to play anymore, but he didn't want to simply retire as a member of the Cowboys because he would have had to pay them the prorated portion of his signing bonus -- $3 million or so. So he just stopped showing up, hoping they would release him.

Dallas was faced with having to carry Orton on the roster (taking up a valuable roster spot as well as his salary on their cap) while Orton either didn't show up at all or half-assed it (at best) through the season just to keep from having to pay back the bonus money. They were considering playing hardball but in the end decided it was easier to just cut him loose and let him keep the cash. It's better for team morale, too -- it would be tough for a coach to lecture his team about commitment when there's a guy in the room who obviously doesn't want to be there.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

He's been unclaimed, but I am now a big Brett Keisel fan.

http://www.wpxi.com/news/news/local/must-see-chp-patient-hooks-catch-lifetime-steelers/ngFNS/

12. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted