1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2014 NFL off-season thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Mizzougrad96, Feb 6, 2014.

1. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

I was having a debate with a friend. Just curious, who would you rather have, Eli or Romo?

2. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

Herpes.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I think it's easier to blame Romo because one interception is easier to point to than poor defensive play. He's probably kept them in some games the Cowboys D was determined to give away.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

It's always fun to point out to the haters that Romo is on a Hall of Fame track.
    He has better numbers than Warren Moon.

5. Holy shit.
    I just spit iced tea all over the place.
    Take a bow.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 1, 2015
  6. joe king

joe king Active Member

Call me when he gets in.

I'll be waiting.

7. 3_Octave_Fart

It is trendy to rip him. I don't do trendy.
    Romo averages 26 touchdowns, 3,695 yards and 305 completions per season.
    Assuming he does no better or no worse than his averages, he will finish his career eighth in both yards and completions, and seventh in touchdowns.
    If he plays out the rest of his contract and stays healthy, he will be in Canton.
    And who knows. Maybe he can flip the script and lead them on a post-season run.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Numbers are not the only thing involved in a Hall of Fame vote, especially given how the NFL process works.

They are an interesting comparison because neither guy won a Super Bowl and both had perceived memorable moments of underachievement in the playoffs.

Moon's success in the CFL was also a factor in his favor. I'm as critical as anybody of the quality of play in that league, but it helped his case. So did the thought that he was robbed of the years in the NFL because it is damn difficult to look at what he had done in college and explain away nobody giving him a shot to play quarterback in the NFL before he went to the CFL.

Also, some of Romo's numbers are better than Moon's and some are not. Per season, you could say that, but longevity means something, especially in a sport in which the athletes take such a beating.

You have to keep in mind that in this case, you are comparing quarterbacks from different eras. The rules and the way the game is played continue to change to favor the passing game. Moon's career started 20 years before Romo's. The changes from 1984 to 2004 weren't nearly as dramatic as those in the late '70s, but they are worth consideration.

9. joe king

joe king Active Member

Assuming he never gets to a Super Bowl, the only way he gets into the Hall is with a ticket.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

It's not just Moon, oop.
    His numbers put him in the company of Tarkenton, Elway and Unitas.
    And please don't give me the rings shit.
    This isn't fucking tennis.

11. 3_Octave_Fart

We'll see.

12. joe king

joe king Active Member

Yes, we will.

You keep the faith, good sir. As I said, call me when he's in and feel free to gloat.

Draft saved Draft deleted