1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Anybody who lives in the taxation area that helped fund that monstrosity should be able to park free. Oh, and fuck Jerry Jones.

2. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Not sure about all that. The Super Bowl was entirely a one-off thing ... there was virtually no parking, as the lots were commandeered for corporate tents, etc.

However, it's not like if you don't pay Jerrah for parking you can't get in. That shuttle I mentioned lets you out right across the street from the west entrance(s). There are also designated on-site areas for taxicabs and Uber drivers. As far as just having someone drop you off, of course you can't pull right up to the door, but I would be surprised if that's the case at any stadium.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

That's Danny Snyder's racket.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

We got dropped off at one of the fast food places across the street and walked from there.

5. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

What about folks in wheelchairs?

6. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

One of the great fears of a playoff is that it would render the rest of the bowls irrelevant. It's sort of happened that way for me. I'm mildly curious if Western Michigan can hang with Wisconsin on a big stage. But I just don't care at all about Auburn-Oklahoma or USC-Penn State. If my school isn't involved, I'm having a lot of trouble feigning any sort of interest for these games. I'm not trying to go on a rant about there being too many bowls. They serve their purpose as television programming. But they just sort of feel empty to me.

7. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

The stadiums agree with you.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

People have been making this argument since (at least) 1998, the first year of the BCS. I know everyone gets nostalgic for the old bowl system, but was a format where No. 1 played No. 7 on New Year's Day and No. 2 played No. 5 really better?

You never got to see the two best teams go head-to-head and then 50 sports writers or coaches voted on who was best. That was better? Really?

HanSenSE and Batman like this.
  9. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

The new inclination of star players to sit out bowl games, whatever you think about it, isn't helping the matchups.

10. dixiehack

Would it have killed Disney to stagger the start times of the Outback and Cotton bowls by even 30 minutes? Gotta make sure everyone sees our talking heads bleating at halftime.

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

More like, they don't want to bleed into the Rose Bowl.

12. dixiehack

So start the Outback Bowl 30 minutes early.

Draft saved Draft deleted