1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

No, but it was fun because you'd have all these weird scenarios through which a number of teams could win the national title.

It's weird that bowls used to be a really big deal. A lot of factors have combined to basically render them irrelevant, not least of all the public's singular obsession with national championships.

lcjjdnh and jr/shotglass like this.
  2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

It's like that in every sport at every level.

Peyton Manning's NFL career was considered largely a failure until he won his second Super Bowl. (And his college career was a failure because he never beat Florida).

We hear all the time about how the 1990s Atlanta Braves won "only" one World Series.

LeBron James was a front-running, big-game choker until he won with the Cavaliers.

3. Dick Whitman

I don't feel like it was always this way.

4. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

One of the two best teams might not have played Saturday and thus may not go head-to-head next Monday.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

I don't know, Dick. There's a lot of evidence in the other camp. Consider how Namath became a folk hero for winning a title. Jim Valvano. Kirk Gibson. Namath and Valvano, especially, became household names well beyond their career resume. It's always been very much about the big, climactic moment.

6. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Oh I think we're pretty safe that the best two teams, wherever they are, were somewhere in the four-team playoff.

Unless of course you're talking about USC. Because duh. They're the second-best team ever.

doctorquant likes this.
  7. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

Saban claims they "mutually agreed" that Kiffin will go to Florida Atlantic and Sarkisian will take over for the national championship. Ha.

That's like saying I mutually agreed with CMU's female population to stay celibate at college.

dixiehack likes this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Let's assume, for the moment, that we weren't under a playoff regime and that Alabama and Ohio State were the choices for a BCS title game on Monday. What would the line be? Bama giving 2, maybe 3?

9. Dick Whitman

No, bigger. 7-8.

10. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Nah, Bama is giving a touchdown to everyone this year.

11. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

Probably right. I'm just trying to get my head around how wildly overrated (apparently) Ohio State was going into these playoffs.

12. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Is it the playoff or the fact that in this day and age this type of format doesn't work? Seriously, why would anyone tune in for a meaningless post season exhibition game between LSU and Louisville? And when you get down to it, they're meaningless. No one won a championship in any of these games. You have conference dick swinging and that's about it.

Draft saved Draft deleted