1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016-17 College Football Bowl-a-Rama thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Steak Snabler, Dec 16, 2016.

1. JohnHammond

JohnHammond Well-Known Member

What was the other league?

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The old PCC, precursor to the PAC-12.

Pacific Coast Conference - Wikipedia

Technically the conference dissolved, but within a couple of years everyone was back in the new league except you know who.

3. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

So was the whole dissolution/reforming thing just a ploy to dump the nerdy guy?

Poor Idaho.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2016
  4. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Actually, I think they were in the WAC for a time, but then the conference decided to stop sponsoring D1 football.

HanSenSE likes this.
  5. dixiehack

Not entirely. The Wikipedia article goes into it, but apparently West Coast football in the 50s was as dirty as the SWC in the 80s. Oregon and Washington got busted for paying players and blew the whistle on UCLA, which in turn ratted out USC and Cal. Fascinating stuff. If anyone can recommend a good book covering the era I'd love to read more.

6. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

I didn't think they were getting kicked out for sucking, per se, more for being a 4-hour plane flight in a league where 9 of the other 10 schools are located in Dixie and scratching for wham-bam-thank you ma'am games with SEC schools to balance the football budget already.

I Should Coco likes this.
  7. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Yeah, I remember an SI Sportscard item mentioning that one of the USC players implicated in that was a guy named Marion Morrison. I'm sure most of you know he gained fame in show business under a different name.

8. SpeedTchr

SpeedTchr Well-Known Member

Looks like it's wide open for you to write one!

9. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

They were the last football members left along with New Mexico State after all the changes earlier this decade.

10. justgladtobehere

justgladtobehere Well-Known Member

Who is the Hollywood starlet who according to an urban legend had an organization with that USC football team?

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

After Troy beat Ohio 28-23 in the Dollar General Bowl last night, the MAC is 0-4 in bowl games this year.

With Miami and Western Michigan both significant underdogs in their bowl games against Mississippi State and Wisconsin, very good chance the MAC finishes 0-6.

The Sun Belt is 4-1, though it's unlikely South Alabama beats Air Force in the Arizona Bowl on Dec. 30 to finish 5-1.

12. dixiehack

South Alabama had the weirdest year imaginable. Went 2-6 in the Sun Belt but swept the nonconference schedule (including San Diego St. and Miss. St.). Having their trip to LSU wiped out in favor of a home game against Presbyterian pushed them to a sixth win.

Neutral Corner likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted