1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"The Royals." It's two guys - the ones mentioned in your post. And Herrera doesn't even have that much of a history with it. What other Royals player has done anything worse than being a cocky douchebag? (cougherichosmercough)

exmediahack, Jake_Taylor and Chef2 like this.
  2. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

Guys on other teams actually seem to like Hosmer.

3. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I loved this quote from Jones:

"He wants to be Pedro Martinez, go out there and have a damn sub 2.00. Don't go out and try to hurt somebody."

Dick Whitman and Big Circus like this.
  4. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

He's very cocky to be sure. But you have to have a certain amount of that to play at that level.

exmediahack likes this.
  5. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Hosmer is cocky but he's not an asshole to the opponents. He practically hosts a talk-show at first base whenever an opponent gets on first, which has been quite common in the early innings this year.

He battles in every at-bat and celebrates his successes but he also respects the game and the people he plays against. That's clear every night - I watch just about every game.

Last year, Hosmer was the one telling his teammates to dial it back during the month of fights and suspensions.

Ventura is certifiably crazy. At times, he has those Sirhan Sirhan eyes on the mound or in the dugout.

6. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Last year, KC was hosting Boston........David Ortiz had been getting chippy with Bruce Dreckman.....Ortiz singles to center, and flips his bat. Ortiz gets to first, and Dreckman runs him.......Ortiz and Hosmer were chatting it up how that was bullshit.

Hos is a very likable guy.

Ventura is the one I wouldn't want to get caught drinking his rum or smoking his cigars.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

The thing that killed me last night was that Ventura acted like a badass except in the moment of truth, when Machado reached him. Then he was diving out of the way like a little bitch. A second later, he's doing the whole, "Let me at him!" routine 30 feet and dozens of humans away from Machado.

exmediahack likes this.
  8. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

But they'll have lots of prospects! Moneyball! 10K a night, maybe! And we want a new yard! [/bluefont]

9. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Another reference to Moneyball. A term most people do not understand.

10. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I think that explains why the royals wanted nothing to do with him. They know his cowardice will result in Hosmer getting one tonight in the ribs.

11. BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo

BYH 2: Electric Boogaloo Well-Known Member

Fucking small market hawks, always sticking together!

Adam Jones is one of the top five quotes in baseball. Guy brings it every night for everyone. And apparently he was still front and center during an Orioles skid earlier in the season that had some other guys lingering in the off-limits areas.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Not getting that vibe. Usually in a fight like that, there's one guy on each team that wasn't involved in the original incident woofing and wanting go time with somebody from the bench. Didn't see it.
    The Royals seemed pretty embarassed about it. I could imagine the bullpen guys chatting on their way back and some Royals reliever or bullpen coach saying to an O's counterpart, "You only have to deal with him twice a year. I gotta spend 162 games with that A-hole."

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted