1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. Donny in his element

Donny in his element Well-Known Member

"How's your wife and my kids?"

2. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

They're playing the White Sox 12 times in the next two weeks?

I Should Coco and Chef2 like this.
  3. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

True. But in addition to San Francisco and the Peninsula, you've got the rest of Northern California and Northern Nevada to draw from. For all the woes of the Coliseum, it's right next to a major (granted, a very congested one) and its connected via skyway to BART. And as previous ownership showed in the 80s, put a winning team in Oakland and it will draw. Oakland is losing the Warriors to San Francisco and the smart money has the Raiders leaving as well. It's a city looking for a team to rally around. Instead, you get "Come watch this guy, and come back next year when he's with the Red Sox."

4. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

Yeah. Before and after they bowed to the great god Davis. But a new ballpark bump lasts what, two years? Then you need another reason to draw people in.

5. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Giggity.

6. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

So I'm watching the "Must C" highlights of the imbroglio, and at one point the Royals announcers (I presume) made some mention of other teams' "bullying" and how the Royals weren't going to stand for it anymore. What the fuck was up with that?

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Lousy baseball? Haven't they made the playoffs like five times since the book came out?

8. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Still waiting for Clooney to play Dayton Moore in the sequel to Moneyball. Larry the Cable Guy can be Billy Butler.

9. RubberSoul1979

RubberSoul1979 Active Member

Between 1968 and 1992, the A's outdrew the Giants in 17 of 25 seasons. If there's any team who knows what it's like to languish under bad owners in a football stadium owned by an overwhelmed city, it's the Giants.

The A's immediate/surrounding area -- Alameda, Contra Costa, Solano and Napa Counties -- has more than enough people (who aren't Giants fans) to support them. Their biggest problems arrived 20 years ago and never left: A horrible stadium and owners who care more about clearing profits than spending money on a winning team.

10. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

The Royals really need to trade Ventura and get a healthy Brett Eibner back in the lineup.

Raise your hand if you thought that was something a KC fan would be saying this June.

Chef2 likes this.
  11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

June 8, 1955

Koufax called up to Brooklyn for debut.

Lasorda sent down.

12. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Yep, in the early 90's my firm held tickets to the As and I remember I couldn't get any of the Sunday tickets then when I tried to get some on game day, it was sold out and 50,000 strong.

Even in the 70's and 80's, the A's were the winners and the Giants were the survivors in the freezer, Candlestick Park.

The tide only turned when ATT (Originally Pac Bell Park) was built in 2000.

Draft saved Draft deleted