1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

He's in a slump ...

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I'm arguing against your trolling of this thread. I thought I already made this clear.

I called it a slump a while ago and you kept on dumping shit all over the thread.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

OK. Then what am I saying that's different than that? Did I cross some line pointing out specifics?

4. outofplace

This sounds like you meant it was just a slump? No, you see people panicking over his recent short outings and you are using that to troll the thread. That is what I wrote pages ago and you have done nothing but provide more evidence to support my characterization of the discussion.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't know what it is. I know he's walking a lot of people. I know he can't get past the fifth in most starts. Is it trolling to say that this is a concern for a guy with a history of control problems?

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

So is Rush Limbaugh.

(Sorry, you left it hanging over the plate)

HanSenSE likes this.
  7. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

I saw you posted, Baron, and thought, "Wait, Baron doesn't know anything about sports ..."

JackReacher and doctorquant like this.
  8. doctorquant

doctorquant Well-Known Member

FTFY

Mr. Sunshine likes this.
  9. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Dodgers 19-year-old Julio Urias is pitching in the ESPN game vs. the Nationals. Rick Sutcliffe is in the booth, and going nuts about the Dodgers' plan to limit Urias to around 125 innings this year.

Sutcliffe cites Fernando Valenzuela's workload at age 20 in 1981. Guess he doesn't remember that Valenzuela's arm was pretty much shot by the time he was 25.

10. outofplace

Based on your history and the way you are posting about the topic on this thread, yes, I believe you are trolling.

I do acknowledge the tiny possibility that you really are clueless enough to mean what you are posting. He has pitched at least seven innings in nine of his 15 starts this season, so your claim that he can't get past the fifth is inaccurate. I've already explained why cherry-picking only a few starts is also inaccurate, but even if you go that route, he has pitched at least six innings in three of his last five starts. In fact, unless I missed something, you can't find any sample of consecutive starts that would support your new claim that he can't get past the fifth in most starts.

Just to be nice, I'll rephrase. You are either trolling the thread or you are completely out of your depth in this discussion.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2016
  11. JC

JC Well-Known Member

And he was probably 25 at the time not 20

12. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

OK, a pet peeve of mine, but if you've reached the point where you're doing national play-by-play on an ESPN game, shouldn't you know the difference between hooking and slicing? Chicago's Jason Benetti is in the booth tonight for ESPN tonight, and Jason Werth hits a long fly down the right-field line that goes out but just foul. Werth is a right-handed batter, so a shot down the right-field line is slicing, not hooking, but Benetti's call is "Down the right-field line and hoooooking foul."

No, that ball was slicing.

Another pet peeve is announcers who say "and they strand the bases loaded." No, you fucking empty suit, you either strand three or you "leave" the bases loaded. You "strand" runners, not bases. I mean, it's not too much to ask these people to be literate, is it? They're making a lot of money.

OK, rant over. Thank you for your indulgence.

bigpern23 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted