1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 MLB Regular-Season Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by doctorquant, Apr 3, 2016.

1. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Might as well ride it out with him during this lost season.

2. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

At least the Braves and Twins can't BOTH go 0-162 ... they play each other July 26 and 27, in Minneapolis.

Good seats still available ...

Donny in his element likes this.
  3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Not offended and usually agree with your first point. But to joke about certain things takes skill and finesse. Moving on ... The Phillies have already won more than I expected early so anything's possible. I don't like to kick teams when they're down but the Braves and Phils are baad. I don't think it would be fair to fire Fredi too soon. Oh, and Let's Go Mets! :)

4. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

I know Fredi has been handed a roster that is awful, but it's his past body of work that makes me wanna be rid of him. But guess he can be the scapegoat at the end of the season. If the Braves ever did look outside of the Bobby Cox tree, I wonder who would be a good fit to lead a team that could have a lot of young talent up next season.

5. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

That is my next question. Regardless of the roster, Fredi is probably gone after this season. As you've said, he has certainly not done a lot with a better roster to inspire confidence. But who would replace him? Part of me thinks Terry Pendelton is going to get a crack at it eventually.

6. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Braves are atrocious. Worst team in baseball by a large margin. This is a continuation of the second half of last season. Add their 0-8 into their July-October record from last year and they are on a 54-win pace.

7. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Fredi has Bobby Cox in his corner, which counts for a lot.

But I think ultimately he's just a placeholder, like Rick Renteria with the Cubs or Bo Porter with the Astros (ironically, Porter is now the Braves' third base coach).

As for who's next, I haven't the foggiest, but I don't think it will be Pendleton. He was demoted from hitting coach to first base coach a few years ago, which is not a move that screams "future manager."

If I had to guess, I'd say bullpen coach Eddie Perez.

8. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Sounds about right. The last time they were 0-8 was 1988, when they started 0-10 and finished 54-106.

The 1988 Orioles, who started 0-21, finished 54-107.

9. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

Interesting fact: the last time the Braves and Twins both finished last in their respective leagues, they played each other in the World Series the next year.

Fuckin' Kent Hrbek.

10. BrownScribe

BrownScribe Active Member

I'd be OK with Eddie Perez. Like you mentioned, Pendleton has been demoted previously. Can't see him being a manager.

11. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Vince Velasquez needs just 113 pitches to strike out 16 in a 3-hit shutout.

I think it's safe to say the Braves and Twins are still better than the Paders who have been shut out 5 times so far.

Last edited: Apr 14, 2016
  12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Cardinals have passed the Pirates already after being swept by them to start the season.

Draft saved Draft deleted