1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

ha, Yeah. At least now, way after the fact, the story is that he failed a drug test, which is why they had to do the quick audible to Hornswaggle. It's kind of too bad, since Kennedy could have been a big deal in the WWE; good talker, decent in-ring worker.

2. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

Wouldn’t mind having Vader in my corner.

3. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

Terry Gordy and Dr. Death Steve Williams probably would be good to have in a fight, too.

4. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

And Ken Shamrock wouldn't hurt.

5. Rainman

Kid Dynamite in his prime Had him to my list

6. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I caught the "Mr. Kennedy" line too, and I hoped JBL or Byron would have added a "Kennedy" afterward.

He probably would have won the belt at some point as he had the briefcase. But he got hurt, dropped the briefcase to Edge in a 30-second match, then it turned out the doc misdiagnosed him and he would have only been out a few weeks, as opposed to a lot of months.

As for the local jobbers, last time I recall either was with Ryback, or The Ascension.

7. Rainman

Who would have made a better WWF champion during the 80's:

-Million Dollar Man
    -Rowdy Roddy Piper
    -Mr. Perfect

8. Rainman

9. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Depends on what you mean by a better champion. Better in the ring? Better presence as a champion? A better draw?

DiBiase, in the loosest sense, actually was the champion for a few days after Andre sold it to him and before the TV taping where Tunney made it vacant, although he's never been recognized as the champ. He made some house show appearances with the belt, and may have defended it once or twice as well. He would have been a very effective heel champion because he had the look, the skill and the gimmick to pull it off.

Piper, it really depends. As a heel, he would have drawn because fans would want to see him get his ass kicked, and he would have done a lot of sneaky things to keep the belt. As a face, he may not have been that effective because he was more nutty.

Perfect might have been an OK short-term heel champion, but he never was really that good as a baby face.

10. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

He was tired of sitting at home and not being used, while Stardust got all the attention?

But seriously, it's a bit of a surprise. And I've got to admit, I've always been partial to him since he's product of our area (with Xavier Woods). He and Dusty gave us a great interview after Cody first broke in (when he was tagging with Bob Holly). And digging through our archives, I actually found a photo of Cody hugging Dusty after winning a high school state championship, with DDP (of all people) in the background.

[​IMG]

11. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Looks like the Cody Rhodes news is legit; it's popping up on a few sites now.

Kind of curious about where's he going from here. First thought would be TNA, but is that really a good option for any established wrestler right now? Maybe hitch his wagon to Jarrett's GFW, if that ever gets off the ground? He certainly doesn't strike me as an ROH type.

12. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted