1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think Cody never goes to TNA; too much to lose by potentially burning a WWE bridge. It wouldn't surprise me if he stays away for a year or two, and then comes back more popular than when he left. He always seemed to get over with the crowd, but he never got a super big push from the WWE, probably because of his size. I could see him doing some indy dates or a few RoH appearances, because he'd probably be in demand and neither would really rock the boat with WWE. (Also: I'm not sure how big of an estate Dusty had, but the back catalog from him and the merchandising rights the family has is probably pretty decent.)

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

I would hope he's just taking some time off. The guy's been going at it for 10 years now, with very little breaks. I don't remember him missing much time -- if any -- for injuries. I know he had the facial injury a few years back, but even then he was still on TV quite a bit.

3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If I had to hazard a guess, he's probably just taking a break. It's not like he had any major programs going on or anything, so now is probably a good time to give his face a rest.

4. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I thought he was writing a book on Dusty. He could return as a different character, BookDust, but I've read that before.

5. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

He's had his whole career in WWE or OVW, but I think he could do well in ROH or New Japan. And there's a boatload of money to be made if you do those right. I don't know if I'd want to hitch my wagon to TNA.

6. JRoyal

JRoyal Well-Known Member

I wonder if this is a work, something WWE and him worked out. He asks for his release, leaves for a little while to be off, does a couple of independent shows, comes back down the road and ditches the Stardust angle. Puts some distance between him and the character and gives him some time to start a family (he's been married a couple of years, so with his career kinda stagnant for now, I could see him wanting to spend time making babies and being a dad rather than putting on facepaint night after night).

sgreenwell likes this.
  7. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

What match are you looking forward to the most tonight?

8. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hope this is the case. Much like his father, he's gotten over no matter what he's asked to do, no matter how ridiculous. And, he definitely inherited Dusty's mic skills. Another good promo guy fallen by the wayside.

9. nietsroob17

nietsroob17 Well-Known Member

Guess it's a matter of if Eden/Brandi is looking to step aside, too, as the WWE 's secondary public address voice.

10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

IC fourway. It'll have some insane spots and I feel like I won't be disappointed no matter what direction they take the finish in.

I'm really hoping for some kind of surprise in the main event. An awesome match with Roman winning clean worked last time but it feels a little too predictable this time. Not getting my hopes up though.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

IC title should be good.

World title match is predictable. Styles ain't winning it.

Asylum match should be a clusterfuck. Ambrose has to win it, or why bother having him as a lunatic character at all.

Women's title result is predictable. Nattie ain't winning it.

12. mpcincal

mpcincal Well-Known Member

Draft saved Draft deleted