1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

Dear Rene,
    I'll be sending you the bill for my new prescription. After seeing that dress, my doctor put me on nitrates.

.... Anyway, I missed the first two matches. Unwrapped a bunch of new movies. Got the last three Marvel films, Spectre, and the last Hunger Games. Don't judge.

IC Fatal 4-way was match of the night. Not surprised that Miz retained.

For future reference, an asylum match is much more hardcore than a WrestleMania street fight. And THUMBTACKS! Nice.

Main event was nice, because AJ busted his ass to make Roman look good. Guy still only does punches and a few power moves. And he's selling chair shots to the back because suddenly the padding on his bulletproof vest doesn't work? And didn't he tweak his knee earlier? These guys, not just Roman, forget to sell sometimes.

I like new heelish Roman because I really, really hate that character. He's finally over, as the smug monster heel he should have been in the first place. Fuck that guy. He's not a cool heel to me. He's a heel I want to boo against the tough, small underdog I want to cheer. Job well done.

Not surprised AJ lost, but surprised that THE MAN is back! Wish Seth could curbstomp Roman's head through the mat. Nice shirt, too.

So.... who wins the briefcase next month? Seth winning and cashing in on Roman's dumb ass later on this year would slay me.

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Roman being fine after AJ snapped and beat the hell out of him with the chair pushed me over the edge. It's absurd. Do it earlier in the match or don't do it at all if Roman's going over. And if the feud is over and Roman's moving on to Rollins, what's the point of continuing to futz with AJ going dark/heel? Unless its a 3way of some kind in which case I'll accept whatever storytelling foolishness is required to get Rollins and Styles in the same ring.

KO wins the briefcase if they have any sense what so ever.

Gutter likes this.
  3. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

That's one issue, although it was a great match, that I wasn't too keen about. Roman takes two Styles Clashes, one of them on a chair, and multiple chair shots, and yet he still kicks out?

Even with the Uso pulling on him for a couple of seconds, it still wasn't that great. At least pull him out of the ring, try a super kick, have Styles block it and hit a move himself, then crawl back into the ring and make a delayed cover which is kicked out.

sgreenwell likes this.
  4. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

That IC title match was insanely good. And so was the ME to be honest.

Also, it's time to get the belts off New Day. They buried another hot heel tag team to keep the belts on a team that doesn't need them.

5. Baron Scicluna

Come on, how else will they be able to wiggle their hips if they're not the champs?

Besides, were the Vaudvillians really a hot heel tag team? I like their entrance and the schtick, but they're not something that screams out as hot.

sgreenwell likes this.
  6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Which hot team? The Vaudevillians? Eh, I don't know about that. I think they've done better than I thought they would, since I thought they'd get a response similar to the Ascension, but New Day has a great and most importantly lucrative thing going on. I'd prefer that New Day just gets booked as the tag team division's John Cena (i.e. hardly ever lose) until the WWE really plans to give them a hard singles push or something.

7. Baron Scicluna

Adam Rose is officially gone. They did wish him well in his future endeavors, so at least they gave him a two-sentence release.

8. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

New Day retaining is fine. Otherwise, every champ walking out last night is a heel champ.

Speaking of, Daniel Bryan's short reign two years ago was the last time there was a true babyface world champ. Cena always got his mixed reaction, Lesnar was heel (even though facing Roman was enough to turn him as he lost he title), Rollins was a heel, Sheamus was a heel, and Triple H was a heel. Roman was a face who was heavily booed then started working a little heel after Mania (and still rightly booed).

Before Bryan, Orton was a heel champ, and prior to the Bryan-Orton feud Cena was a mixed reaction champ. Cena started that reign by beating Rock at WM29. Before that, Punk held the belt for 434 days, starting as a face and turning heel.

Until about two years ago, the WWE title mostly went back and forth between Cena and Orton. The World Heavyweight title was the one that had a more diverse list of champs (not ethnically, I mean in terms of guys like Christian and Jack Swagger, who were never going to be WWE champ).

9. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

New Day doesn't need the belts to be over. Period.

And yeah, I'd say the Vaudes were hot. Now, not so much. They'll get buried like The Ascension and written off tv very soon more than likely.

Yeah, I'm a fan of theirs. OK? lol

KYSportsWriter likes this.
  10. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Another pet peeve of mine, not to go all Jim Ross, but if New Day are faces why are they cheating to win with interference from the third man? More bad booking.

11. Baron Scicluna

So much for Rollins being a face. Great promo, though.

12. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

I hate to say it, but New Day's shtick is getting pretty stale.

Tommy_Dreamer and JimmyHoward33 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted