1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2016 Pro Wrestling Thread

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Gutter, Dec 31, 2015.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Oh, and have we touched on how ridiculous it was that, after all the "he's dead to me" shit, after Shane nearly kills himself, and then loses, that Vince let Shane run Raw, at least supposedly for one night?

2. JimmyHoward33

JimmyHoward33 Well-Known Member

Really stupid.....and it's not like they sent Shane to the ring 100 times to introduce all the new guys. They just ran a wrestling show. What a concept. There's does not need to be a McMahon pulling the strings on TV at all times.

3. Bradley Guire

Bradley Guire Well-Known Member

I'd like to go on the record: I was not part any beach ball chants. But I was part of the "Sheraton" and "travel package" chants. I paid good money for the travel package and got a great value, so I'll damn well chant for it!

jpetrie18 likes this.
  4. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

She wanted to acknowledge the crowd, it seemed, more times than she did -- but had to stick to the script. Sometimes you've just got to let it flow, and that was the perfect time to let her play off the crowd.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Fuck that crowd. I've said this for a while but I'll continue to say it: I watch the WWE for the superstars in the ring, not to see the crowd try to get itself over.

It was cute three years ago. Now it's not.

6. Bradley Guire

Well, shit.

Shoemaker left ESPN, which means he left Cheap Heat, to join Bill Simmons' new site. He's the art director, and he'll write wrestling and do a podcast.

Announcement was on Cheap Heat, plus he appeared on Simmons' pod soon after.

I hope he's paired with someone with broadcast experience. Many didn't like Rosenberg, but he was a necessary part of the show and Shoemaker needs someone with those skill sets.

Rosenberg and Stat Guy Greg will continue as Cheap Heat. We'll see how long it lasts. Shoemaker was the brains of the show. Without a good replacement, Rosenberg will ramble forever on his parties and whatever, and the show will die.

For ESPN, this should be a big loss. It's upped coverage of WWE, but while it kept Cheap Heat alive after Grantland died it failed to make the most of having Shoemaker. He went from a weekly column to barely one a month. Guess Shoemaker's contract was up, leaving him open to joining Simmons, to whom he has loyalty. Probably why he wasn't used more.

7. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

It'll be Rosenberg saying maj, adjace, and repug on loop. For me, that podcast has been barely tolerable for the past several months.

Meanwhile, Sam Roberts (and Katie Linendoll) continues to be the best podcast around.

JimmyHoward33 likes this.
  8. JimmyHoward33

I've come to like Sam and Katie much much more than Cheap Heat, even with Shoemaker. It's stunning to me that Shoe is not taking Rosenberg with him. Must be related to the latter's new thing on ESPN Radio. I didn't know Shoe was starting his own pod, I'll have to check that out. I have no intention of listening to Rosenberg without him.

9. JimmyHoward33

Without crowds like that, would Sasha Banks still be goofing around with Tamina Snuka? Would Enzo and Cass be on the roster at all?

The crowd's not getting itself over. It's trying to get performers that it actually enjoys over. That's how I watch it anyway.

sgreenwell likes this.
  10. Tommy_Dreamer

Tommy_Dreamer Well-Known Member

FWIW, I thought Mania and Raw were letdowns. Not overly happy with either show.

And fuck any crowd that has to start a "WE ARE AWESOME" chant. No, you most certainly are not. SHUT UP!

jpetrie18 and schiezainc like this.
  11. Bradley Guire

Shoemaker is also moving to LA, so it would have been a mess to constantly have one host be a call in. But a lot of things at play: Rosenberg still has a deal with ESPN, like you said, and no way ESPN is having anything to so with anything or anyone throwing in with Simmons.

I agree that Not Sam has the best podcast all around. Interviews plus analysis is the way to go. But I had listened to Cheap Heat since the early going, and I enjoyed it for the more laid back style. It was like BSing with buddies about wrestling, occasionally getting off topic, swinging back around, telling stories, then you have a new friend join in (Stat Guy).

I'm bummed out. Cheap Heat and Not Sam were my weekly ritual too pass the time doing layout at work. I'll have a new one to add, but I sure as shit hope Simmons doesn't join Shoemaker as a regular. Nothing against the guy, but his voice puts me to sleep. Cheap Heat may not make it if they can't find a good third. Rosenberg and Greg aren't enough to keep it going.

JimmyHoward33 and sgreenwell like this.
  12. Rainman

Rainman Well-Known Member

If you had a chance to build your own roster(16 wrestlers) and you could pick any wrestler you wanted, past or present, what would your roster look like?

Draft saved Draft deleted