1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2018 World Cup running thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Cosmo, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

They all attempted to be and are a part of FIFA. They’re as represented here as the Browns are in the Super Bowl, just eliminated teams.

2. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Just think how good these games would be if they re seeded....

3. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

4. cjericho

cjericho Well-Known Member

Yeah Brazil definitely isn't as good as Russia.

5. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

"It's pronounced Ahs-Weep-Ay."

DanielSimpsonDay likes this.
  6. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

Also, inspired by my Liquid Symphony, I took it upon myself to recreate the World Cup the best I could in FIFA 17 (since that's what we own, not 18, which has the tournament already). I had to substitute a whole bunch of teams, but the main one was putting the USMNT in Panama's spot. My main drunken takeaways:

- Man, the U.S. roster is uninspiring, particularly with Pulisic rated before he turned into Soccer God. I had forgotten about Jermaine Jones and would like to forget about him again. Gyasi Zardes, on the other hand, was shockingly useful.
    - My USMNT beat England and South Africa (filling in for Tunisia) in the group stage and lost to Belgium, then beat Colombia, Portugal and Argentina to reach the final. (Ronaldo scored on me, Messi did not, but not for any lack of chances.) The other semifinal was...Russia over Brazil, 2-0. You'll be pleased to know that the good guys won 4-1 on the strength of a Clint Dempsey hat trick. I BELIEVE THAT WE WILL WIN!

7. poindexter

I would be very down with France winning the World Cup, and Mbappe becoming the new face of world soccer. I am over Messi and Ronaldo. And anyone from Brazil.

8. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That'd be a good outcome as I am rooting for France due to my daughter living there. But Lukaku and De Bruyne are certainly potential global superstars. Same thing with Kane should England win.

9. poindexter

I love the Belgians. But I lived through the annoyance of the Red Sox in 04. I don't need a repeat of that kind of shit again with England.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Hey, I wrote some of that shit in '04.

I Should Coco, Webster and poindexter like this.
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

I wonder if France is the worst matchup for Belgium. France has a great defense, the best d-mid in the world and speed to exploit the somewhat slow Belgium defense. Brazil had their chances and while Courtois saved a few, they squandered a lot more.

12. typefitter

typefitter Well-Known Member

I think France win it pretty handily in the end. Pretty much this same Belgian team lost 3-1 to Wales two years ago at Euro. They have some great players—if I were building a team from scratch, I might start with De Bruyne—but they also have some big holes.

Draft saved Draft deleted